Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
SAB
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Winter Storm Drumming Workshop

Would a true beginner get anything out of this workshop, or does one need to have their own and be able to play it? (this question applies to snare and bass)

Thanks,
Seth
SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
David Corbett
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to David Corbett Send a message via Yahoo to David Corbett
Default Re: Winter Storm Drumming Workshop

true beginners are well cared for. I can speak for the Bass anyway, not only was there a beginner class, but they didn't even kick me out when it was found out I was really a piper!

The Instructor was Duncan Gibson, who I hope will be be back, depending on his health. What I learned in that day and half in January.. I used for the first time, just this last month to get 3rd in the Am Bass at Grandfather Mtn.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Petdrummer
Forum Regular

As with most things, what you get out is directly related to what you put in. My opinion; if you donít get anything of benefit out of the weekend, this isnít the sport for you. You will be hard pressed to find another opportunity to put yourself in the middle of this large a knowledge and talent base anywhere else on earth.

For snare, all you need is a set of sticks and a practice pad. There are vendors there that will have them if you donít. You will find lots of good instruction from great instructors, but I recommend making a point of spending a session with John Fisher. I wish I had run into someone with his insight on technique when I was starting.

For bass, having a drum with you helps, but isnít required. My daughter took her first bass lessons from Cliff Davis in the beginner class in 2006. She walked in with only a borrowed pair of sticks. Cliff hooked her up with his drum and got her off and running. She hasnít stopped running since.

Be there, you wonít regret it.

Galen

Petdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Drew McPheeters
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Drew McPheeters

Well, this all depends upon your expectation.

You are going as a true beginner, you will almost certainly return as a true beginner.

What you will get is access to THE top names in scottish drumming from aroun the world.

You will learn from many people, and not just the instructors.

You will make friends/contacts that you can lean upon in years to come for advise, commraderie, and assistance with scores, recommendations, and cautionary tales.

You will see many different styles, approaches, and techniques you may have never seen before (or again).

You will have the time of your life.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
SAB
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

There are two of us planning on going for the first time; the other person has never even touched a drum stick (bass) yet, and I just wanted to make sure that person did not get left in the corner. Thanks everybody for the insight. By the way, congrats on your drumming David.

-Seth

SAB is offline   Reply With Quote