Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
SAB
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default online instruction vs. workshops

Nothing really beats in-person instruction. So I was wondering, what does everyone think about one-on-one online lessons versus group workshops? Both I am sure would be great, but if you had to choose one, what are your thoughts?

-Seth
SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: online instruction vs. workshops

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB
Nothing really beats in-person instruction. So I was wondering, what does everyone think about one-on-one online lessons versus group workshops? Both I am sure would be great, but if you had to choose one, what are your thoughts?

-Seth
If you have access to good instruction, one-on-one or in a group, surely that has to be best. Where people don't have that, the on-line options seem great, though I've never experienced it, so don't know what the actual frustrations/strengths of it are.

One thought though - even if you DO have access to great instruction, it could sometimes be tempting to study something with a particular teacher, for some reason. And if they live a continent away, on-line lessons would probably be the only way.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think there is a place for both. I have given some on-line lessons to solve a problem or two and webcam was brilliant.

Group lessons usually mean that you cannot work in detail with one person, but with those who are competant a lot can be acheived.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
MarcusAbsent
Forum Silver Medal

I would go for one on one online lessons.

I'm assuming that you mean taking regular lessons ie. weekly or fortnightly.

Primarily because it is the closest thing thing to having in person instruction as you put it.

You have the advantage of someone regularly monitoring your progress and providing immediate feedback as to whether or not you are playing things correctly and also set goals to achieve for the next lesson which would have to be a good thing for your development.

I find that I practice with more focus and more frequency if I have a goal to aim for.
MarcusAbsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
Mr. Morvan
Forum Regular

I believe it's just another question that I usually call "a mistaken calculation": instead of "online instruction x workshops", it should be "online instruction + workshops".

In other words, both have some advantages and some disadvantages. So, I would go for both, as one can be a complement to the other. Also, it doesn't exclude other options, as personal one to one assessment, tutor books, etc. I would (and in fact I did and still do) use as many resources as possible to learn as much as I can.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
The Scottish Piper
Forum Gold Medal

That's a great point Mr. Morven. Learn as much as you can from as many different sources that you can. I have two private instructors, Matt Pantaleoni which I study piobaireachd from and Chis Apps which I study light music from. I have learned a great deal from both and I'm very fortunate to have such great pipers close to me. But, in addition to this, I also go to Winter Storm. Good luck.

Cheers!

Lauree
(314) 805-1218
The Scottish Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think personal instruction is a must in the early days. I would want a student in front of me in case something goes wrong with the reeds.
After the basics of playing and reed manipulation have been learned, then online lessons should be fine.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
SAB
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks to all those who have replied.

In my particular case, it would be drumming. And I have nobody in person for lessons. So it would be the occasional online lesson or a workshop, but I certainly don’t have the money for both. I just recently discovered the come2drum.com website and other online instructors. I wonder would online drumming instruction have the same success as online piping instruction?

Seth
SAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think it might be better, since you don't have as many reed and bag problems to deal with. As long as you can see and hear the sticks on cam, you should be good.