Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
andy
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Wet Blowing

Are all kids wet blowers and do they eventually grow out of it. I recently started learning my 9 yr old grandson and 20 minutes in he can have a practice reed wringing and unplayable. I don't remember his mum being such a wet blower but then again that was nigh on 35yrs ago. Gone are the days when you could flick your practice chanter at the fire to get rid of dampness from the reed.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Wet Blowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Are all kids wet blowers and do they eventually grow out of it. I recently started learning my 9 yr old grandson and 20 minutes in he can have a practice reed wringing and unplayable. I don't remember his mum being such a wet blower but then again that was nigh on 35yrs ago. Gone are the days when you could flick your practice chanter at the fire to get rid of dampness from the reed.
I could be wrong, but I've gotten the impression that I've become a wetter blower as I've gotten older. Moisture wasn't much of an issue for me when I was a kid, but it's definitely an issue now.

Everyone's different, and to that end, I'd imagine people may change in all manners of ways.

Just my two .

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Sorry, missed part of your question. Not everyone is a wet blower (or not) at any specific age. Again, once upon a time, I definitely wasn't.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
johnsog
Forum Regular

That is true. My first pipe instructor admitted to being a very dry blower so he never had issues with moisture. I, on the other hand, am wet and have a band mate who is even wetter than I. I do find improvement if I've brushed my teeth and not consumed anything but water before playing but that isn't always practical. For the practice chanter, I've found those little donut-shaped sponges that slide around the base of the reed are helpful. I think I got them from Henderson's.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
DRCanady
Forum Member

My practice chanter was only good for about 20 minutes before it started gurgling and I needed to pull it apart and dry all the parts including the little donut sponge. I'm 60 but new to pipes.

However, that was when I was sitting on the sofa with my music on the coffee table low below my eyes requiring my head to be tilted down. When I sit upright with the music at eye level, I have no moisture issue at all. You could try raising the music stand. It might help.
DRCanady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:49 AM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I believe that on average people become dryer blowers as they age, though this isn't hard and fast. It's certainly true for me.

I also think that novice pipers tend to salivate a lot because they are holding something in their mouths, and until that physiological response stops they will be very wet blowers.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

I suspect that a lot of young players are playing instruments that are a lot harder than they need to be, which contributes to wet blowing.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote