Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Repip
Forum Member

Default Ear protection recommendations for the band circle

Hi,

I recently started playing in a band after a 3 year break. After
incurring a spinal injury just over 3 years ago I am now a paraplegic
and wheelchair bound.

I’ve noticed in the circle as I am at “chanter” height the volume is a
lot higher! After band last night my ears are still ringing this morning
and I had some basic earplugs in although not all the time.

Recommendations for ear protection that I can leave in for the entire
practise and still hear the essential stuff! The music and the band leaders
providing instruction.

Many Thanks
Repip is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Loud-one
Forum Member

Default Re: Ear protection recommendations for the band circle

Impact noise reducers. They lower the decibels about 18 so you can still hear. I bought mine from Henderson's. ( no affiliation).
Old 09-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I use the Etymotic hearing protectors:

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/he...tion/erme.html

The above are custom made and ultra comfortable. In fact, I can wear them all day without discomfort. They’re not cheap, but it also ensures that you look after them.

The off-the-shelf ones work great too: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/he...tion/er20.html

They’re cheaper (by a lot). Either way, I can hear fairly quiet conversations, certainly the pipe major and other people talking in the circle.

My kids use the ones made by Hardie. They work really well also.

Charlie
Old 09-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Talk to an audiologist about custom molded ear plugs.

A little more pricey but believe me, well worth it.

I pipe and bang tin all day. These things are gold. Comfortable too.

————————————————————
https://www.facebook.com/DamhCabrach
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have used off the shelf etymotic for years. Get the white ones for severe reduction, the blue ones for less reduction in volume. It comes down to fit which is why they’re different even though they’re not advertised that way.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #6
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

As a drummer, Etymotic's rock! I've used the ER-20's for years.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:25 AM   #7
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have used the below for a couple of years: they are inexpensive and the protection level can be adjusted. I find the lowest level to be fine, even standing next to drummers indoor. And if I lose them it's not quite such a tragedy!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEE876O/
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:36 AM   #8
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

I will just cover commercially available hearing protection, and not custom fitted items. I have familiarity with the following types due to military and fire department service.

A good audiologist should be able to fit you with practically any type of in the ear protection. As I was fitted with mass produced Military Issue Ear plugs, in 1976 I can only speculate on what is available on the market. However, what I use for myself I can advise upon.

Comfort is a factor in the wear and use of hearing protection. if it isn't comfortable well, you know how well it will be used.

You should be able to find the following in the Big Box Stores, Hardware and sporting goods at reasonable prices

Banded ear caps: these look like a woman's hair band with ear canal caps on the ends are comfortable easy to clean and replacement caps are available to replace severely worn or dirty tips. NNR should be about 27 Db usually orange in color and comfortable to wear.

Ear Muff style: Over the ear, and various levels of noise reduction may be rated to NNR30, if you wear glasses, the sound attenuation can be reduced due to the size of the frame arms. Can also be worn with ear plugs for greater noise reduction.

Ear Plugs; various styles:
o expanding foam, are just what they sound like you roll them between the fingers and insert into the ear canal and hold in place till they expand and fill. If you have a shallow ear canal these may not work well due to fit issues cheap and disposable.

The next two types you may need to check safety supply stores as they come in specific sizes. Single flange and Triple flange ear plugs.

These are usually fitted by audiologists or industrial hygenists, so again may be a little harder to find. I use single flange myself.

Single flange come in about 5 sizes, extra small to extra large these are fitted into the outer ear canal. washable and reusable. generally supplied with a small plastic case.

Triple flange again provided in various sizes, these protrude slightly deeper into the ear canal also washable and reusable.

All are passive systems and do not use electronics to allow for sound transmission.

In the last decade or so, a double sided ear plug was developed. one side is like the traditional plugs in that they are sound blockers, the other side has a small channel to allow low pressure sounds to pass while disrupting hard impulse sounds (think gunfire). There had been a issue posted by the Armed Forces Medical Services as they have not been found to work as well as more traditional ear plugs, however, you can still find them sold.

My personal preferences are for the extra large single flange, as I was fitted with in the Army, and for the banded ear caps. both are comfortable enough for extended wear.

Also check with your insurance provider, they may cover hearing protection in their plan, and it is also a quality of life issue. As for telling an Audiologist why you need hearing protection if covered by insurance daily sound exposure in the dangerous range should suffice and some bagpipes can read on a decibel meter at 110Db. since the chanters are at your ear level, you are a sever exposure risk.

Hope this slightly lengthy bit helps.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #9
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Talk to an audiologist about custom molded ear plugs.

A little more pricey but believe me, well worth it.
Another vote for custom ear plugs.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:26 AM   #10
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
I have used the below for a couple of years: they are inexpensive and the protection level can be adjusted. I find the lowest level to be fine, even standing next to drummers indoor. And if I lose them it's not quite such a tragedy!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEE876O/
I use this same variety now .. and the results have been very good. In fact, if there're too many other pipers around at contests, putting these plugs in helps me hear my own drones for tuning.

Funny though, I've only ever used the highest "gold" setting. But I haven't really bothered to try the others.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote