Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
celtickc86
Forum Member

Default Cracked Blowpipe Stock

I noticed two horizontal cracks on my blowpipe stock last night.
It is ABW, and I have been using the Bottle Trap Tube with the Trap-Dri system installed into the tube (a modification I found on this forum). I tilt the bag at the end of each session to let the moisture drain out, but admittedly just leave the tube in.
When I noticed the cracks, I immediately took out the tube (I noticed the hemp on the elbow of the tube was quite wet, and wondered if it just sits there wet all of the time).

Anyway, the main point of this post is not so much to discover how the cracks got there, but moreso to get options for repair/replacement.

I really prefer to have everything matching.They are a beautiful set of McCallum AB4s that I bought brand new in 2010. I get a lot of compliments on how my pipes look (not so much on the playing though lol).

Is it possible to get a Poly stock that matches the color of the ABW?

Would it make sense financially to get the original repaired and plated on the inside?

Who would you recommend for these types of fixes?

Sorry for all of the questions. Feel free to answer any, all, none of them.

Below find a link pics of the cracks. I put it into a Google Drawings file. (There are only two cracks, but I took two pics of each.)

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
celtickc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Cracked Blowpipe Stock

Hi all,

The exact thing happened to me with my 2010 ABD4's and likely because of the wood and hemp swelling from leaving the blow pipe in. I contacted my guy and he had McCallum send out a new one on warranty. I got more careful with not leaving the blow pipe in and the cracks which weren't leaking closed up and can barely be seen. I never bothered to put the new one in and it sits in a drawer! Oh and if your still in the warranty period they will send you one no questions asked!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink

Last edited by John Bolt; 03-12-2019 at 07:32 AM.
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Welcome to the season of cracked Pipes...St. Patrick's Day and all manner of parades, gigs, etc that can be pure havoc on wood.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Unfortunate and unfortunately out of warranty. You could contact the retailer you bought them from to ask for a replacement...from Mccallum...made of their acetyl material . ...only yer goodself will know it’s not abw.

Your ferrule looks like the plated brass type used before they switched to alloy ...so if you get a new acetyl one you might have to switch the ferrule.

In the meanwhile...use Teflon tape windings on the elbow to get a good friction fit without hemp swelling...but let the wood dry first and then goober some krazy glue into the cracks. When dry the crack might disappear....use a tapered something to open them up just a tich to get the glue in. Then Tape tightly with black plastic tape...it will all disappear under the bagcover. Dont be afraid to take the ferrule off to open the cracks.

BTW...the cracks in the photos appear to be at the blowstick tendon end...not the tube trap end?....remove some hemp?

Last edited by el gaitero; 03-12-2019 at 08:52 AM.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
celtickc86
Forum Member

I emailed McCallum last night when I found the crack. They emailed me promptly this morning. They are sending me a replacement stock free of charge. They told me it was covered under warranty.

I am blown away by this company and their customer service.

Kudos to you McCallum Bagpipes!

Now, to avoid this happening again, even with proper maintenance, does anyone have any experience with getting these parts "plated"?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtickc86 View Post
I emailed McCallum last night when I found the crack. They emailed me promptly this morning. They are sending me a replacement stock free of charge. They told me it was covered under warranty.

I am blown away by this company and their customer service.

Kudos to you McCallum Bagpipes!

Now, to avoid this happening again, even with proper maintenance, does anyone have any experience with getting these parts "plated"?
That’s terrific and I am not surprised. I thot only the plastic pipes had 10 yr warranty...and abw 5 years...but I’ve learned from others they aren’t too picky about how many years if there’s an issue with any of their products. Kenny and Stuart lead the whole team in being over the top ....and always a patient ear.

What do you mean by ‘plated’’?....an internal metal sleeve?
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
celtickc86
Forum Member

What do you mean by ‘plated’’?....an internal metal sleeve?[/QUOTE]

Through reading the many posts about cracked stocks on here, I stumbled across some that were talking about "plating" being the ultimate solution to the cracking. It was my impression that they were talking about a metal sleeve, but I could absolutely be mistaken. My level of ignorance is still quite high.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
Anndrah
Forum Member

I have been to their shop. They are a good group. I have found them very friendly and helpful.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

They are indeed. My first set of pipes were McCallum ABWs that I had mounted in imitation tortoise. The mounts were neat and different.

They did however start to chip after only a couple of months time. Back then I vented on this forum instead of doing the right thing and talking with McCallum first. Even despite this, Kenny MacLeod reached out to me to have the mounts replaced at their own expense including shipping. McCallum remounted them in Mopani which looked great against the darker ABW. I still feel badly looking back. There are many more examples like this experience and this thread's of their customer service.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

Worse comes to worse, use some liquid super glue, keep the stock as a potential replacement.

I have used liquid super glue on hairline cracks (one in the blowpipe, and one on the outside chanter stock) and fixed them that way. Of course, I learned quickly to do more care and maintenance after that... Playing the pipes a lot after a long period of them sitting isn't the sharpest thing to do without oiling, checking and changing hemp, etc.

Also, I never used to do this in previous years of piping, but I always pull the blowpipe from my pipes when in the case. Not only helps with storing them in the case, but I think it's better for the moisture issue as well.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote