Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-03-2019, 05:05 AM   #1
JustinS
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Anyone recommend a chanter reed for mouth blown maclellan studio pipes in A

Hello all . Does anyone out there have a set of maclellan studiopipes ? If so what is the best chanter reed for them? Mine are in Key of A . It came with an abbott practice chanter reed but doesn't sound very good to me. If anyone can suggest a good reed?
JustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Anyone recommend a chanter reed for mouth blown maclellan studio pipes in A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS View Post

Hello all . Does anyone out there have a set of maclellan studiopipes ? If so what is the best chanter reed for them? Mine are in Key of A . It came with an abbott practice chanter reed but doesn't sound very good to me. If anyone can suggest a good reed?
The maker..Roddy McClellan...can advise and/or perhaps cleanup the issue with the Abbott reed. Heís good at customer relations....heíll help...a great guy.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Default Re: Anyone recommend a chanter reed for mouth blown maclellan studio pipes in A

I actually have been dealing with this same thing on my Bb studio pipes. Iím waiting for my next paycheck then Iím going to buy an Apps Reed. I hear that theyíre great and Chris Apps makes a Reed that apparently works for all chanter keys. This video of him sold me on his reeds:

https://youtu.be/3k1vxcdRXmU

The tone just sounds way nicer than the Abbot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
JustinS

Thanks for the info . I was looking at apps also. I ordered a cane practice chanter reed for my practice chanter a few months ago can't seem to get it right sound in my practice chanter anymore . Maybe I'll order one and tell him it's for a maclellan studio pipe chanter. Gibson sounds ok in it but not enough volume to compete with the drones. The abbott has way just to many squeels
JustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

With Gibson/Abbott style reeds, my experience reminds me that they squeal more when *underblown* and that the squealing would stop if blown up to a higher pressure.

Shame you canít get Boyd reeds anymore, his were awesome.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Jeffrey B.
Forum Member

I use an old style Gibson chanter reed in my Bb studio pipes and they sound nice.
Jeffrey B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post

Shame you canít get Boyd reeds anymore, his were awesome.
When he started selling them again briefly I bought two spares.

I'm under the impression that the mojo comes from making the blades from tenor drum heads.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
uncletedly

Boyd reeds used 0.010" Mylar as the blade material. Unlike many other plastics, Mylar does not contain plasticizers which dry out and leave the plastic brittle over time. It must be heat formed. It gives long lasting reeds with great tone.
uncletedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

FWIW Remo Frosted banjo heads are .010" Mylar
Old 10-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quick!!... Round up all the stray banjos!!

(Come-a-ti-yi-yippy!! :)