Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
Kevin J. Auld
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to Kevin J. Auld
Default Beginner Strathspeys

Hey teachers, I posted a question over in the Teachers' Lounge about beginning strathspeys. I wasn't sure where to put my question - especially since the Teachers' Lounge hasn't had any new topics in the last 30 days It's a ghost town over there...
Kevin J. Auld is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Default Re: Beginner Strathspeys

Iím not a teacher, but my first Strathspey was Loudonís Bonnie Woods and Braes. Very nice sounding tune and pretty easy with some practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:19 AM   #3
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Struggling to remember as it was so long ago, but I'm sure I learnt Miss Ada Crawford first.

Nice strath, it's short and relatively simple. It'll introduce a couple of new strathspey concepts.

GL
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:03 AM   #4
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J. Auld View Post
Hey teachers, I posted a question over in the Teachers' Lounge about beginning strathspeys. I wasn't sure where to put my question - especially since the Teachers' Lounge hasn't had any new topics in the last 30 days It's a ghost town over there...
A lot of good ones here:

https://www.rspba.org/html/prescribe...thspey_2PT.php

But I'd simplify many of the arrangements for a new player.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
A lot of good ones here:

https://www.rspba.org/html/prescribe...thspey_2PT.php

But I'd simplify many of the arrangements for a new player.
I think there are better beginner ones out there. Those are uabhasach difficult tunes just cut down to 2 parts. And I'm not sure of the value of learning and 'easy' setting, only to have to re-learn the tune again once technical ability allows?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #6
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
And I'm not sure of the value of learning and 'easy' setting, only to have to re-learn the tune again once technical ability allows?
Easier to put in more embellishments once they're properly learned than play a tune poorly from the start.

In my opinion, embellishments are way too emphasized at the expense of other skills such as rhythmic accuracy, accurate tuning and steady blowing. Most pipers I hear think they're good at these and they're dreadful. (and I used to be that guy, too)

But they worry about embellishments and expression. And these are not the issue.

If one took the Maids of the Black Glen from the list and substituted G grace notes for the doublings, one would have a lovely tune that would win prizes for a solo beginner grade as well as a band. I know from experience. The doublings are not the essence of the tune, nor producing music. But they're dead easy to put back in.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to Kevin, and to All.

Not sure exactly... where... it may fall upon the
playing difficulty (or ease :) spectrum... but...
"Lady Madeline Sinclair" is a damned fine tune!!... :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 04-16-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

John -- I don't just mean embellishments, the tunes I recognise from the list are not beginner tunes, not just because of the embellishments necessary but also the technical proficiency of scale navigation and subtleties of timing.

Different stokes, but you and I do agree in a sense, that a stepped approach would be good. But I'd rather use simple sraths first (scale navigation and embellishments) and building up the technicality gradually tune by tune.

I learnt what would be regarded as a long time ago now. Maybe the methodology has changed in the intervening years?

BR
Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
John -- I don't just mean embellishments, the tunes I recognise from the list are not beginner tunes, not just because of the embellishments necessary but also the technical proficiency of scale navigation and subtleties of timing.

Different stokes, but you and I do agree in a sense, that a stepped approach would be good. But I'd rather use simple sraths first (scale navigation and embellishments) and building up the technicality gradually tune by tune.

I learnt what would be regarded as a long time ago now. Maybe the methodology has changed in the intervening years?

BR
Dunno about methodology. And I agree that many of the tunes on the page are more advanced 4-parters that have been cut in half. That is dumb.

But, simplified, I would not be hesitant to introduce a player that's ready for strathspey, any of these tunes:

Archie Duncan, Because he was a Bonny Lad, Campbeltown Kiltie Ball, Castle MacGillivray, Lady Carmichael's Strathspey, Lady MacKenzie of Fairburn, Loudens Bonnie Woods and Braes, McPhedran's Strathspey, Molly Connell, Orange and Blue, The Inverness Rant, The Maids of the Black Glen, The Keel Row, The Market Place of Inverness

Last edited by John McCain; 04-16-2019 at 08:35 AM.
John McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

We just learned 'Keel Row' as part of a simple two-parters MSR medley..

Quote:
In my opinion, embellishments are way too emphasized at the expense of other skills such as rhythmic accuracy, accurate tuning and steady blowing.
I agree, so why not play tunes at the skill level of the player?

Play a tune with great expression that has embellishments you can play well. Some pipers may be at the single gracenote level, some may be at the taorluath level (or above).. To simplify tunes adapting to the player seems like a shortcut.. If the piper can't play the embellishments needed for the tune, can they express it well? Will removing difficult embellishments help them express the tune?

Otherwise, I can play a properly expressed Highland Wedding in solo Gr1 with only a few sprinklings of G-Gracenotes, yes?

As Scott Williams says at the end of his tutor "And now, at last, the tune you've probably been waiting for, one that is know around the world" and then he shows you Scotland the Brave. You have gone through 11 chapters of learning, technique exercises, simple tunes, theory, history, and skill building tunes to get to that level.

Just my opinion, I could be completely wrong (my wife usually lets me know)

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote