Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
McCracken140
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Buggered up Ezee tenor

So Iíve been playing Ezee drone reeds in my plastic Dunbar pipes since last September, but lately Iíve noticed that one of my tenor reeds has become EXTREMELY unsteady.

The problematic reed keeps jumping around in pitch as I play, and it sounds very similar to when your drones have become over saturated with moisture but have not yet shut down. This occurs at all pressures and settings of the bridle, and is not a moisture issue as I had first thought, as I dried out the reeds outside my pipes for a weekend and I had the same problem. I know itís the reed and not the drones, because I switched the reeds between both tenors a few times and the problems followed the reed.
This problem also occurs with the tuning pins out in order to play at 466Hz, and with them screwed in to play at 484Hz.

Does anyone have any advice on what the problem is and how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McCracken140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Buggered up Ezee tenor

Without hearing it my first thought is that itís not sitting in the seat correctly.

If the reed is wobbling around it could produce instability...

DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
McCracken140

Default Buggered up Ezee tenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Without hearing it my first thought is that itís not sitting in the seat correctly.

If the reed is wobbling around it could produce instability...

That was my second thought after thinking it was moisture but I reseated them quite well, if I say so myself, and nothing changed :/

Edit:SP
Old 05-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Yeah it was by no means an assumption that you didnít seat them well.

How old are the reeds?

DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
McCracken140

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Yeah it was by no means an assumption that you didnít seat them well.

How old are the reeds?

Of course.

The reeds are about 9 months old, purchased from Kinnaird when I bought my pipes.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

....believe it or not...but try it...the bridle needs to be moved yet another micro split nano to shorten the tongue....and back out the pitch screw a half or so turn to maintain the same tuning position.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:01 AM   #7
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Check your drone for a leak in the wood...otherwise it's a bum reed..happens with EZ's too often IMO.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:17 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post

Check your drone for a leak in the wood...otherwise it's a bum reed..happens with EZ's too often IMO.
A good thot. A bit of leak around a bush or from under a ring cap could cause this.

On occasion if my EZ reed does this I slide the bridle fully to the rear ( lengthen the tongue) then stroke the exposed blade with index finger pressure along the tongue length with enough pressure to create a bit of friction/heat....do this 15-20 strokes...it seems to reset the tongue a bit ...then it’s tickety boo usually. Running a crisp dollar bill under tongue under finger pressure to clear away any imagined goobies also makes me feel like I’ve thot of everything.

Last edited by el gaitero; 05-19-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Since you know it's the reed, replace it. You might tweak it back into good behaviour but it can as easily tweak itself back into poor behaviour.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Since you know it's the reed, replace it. You might tweak it back into good behaviour but it can as easily tweak itself back into poor behaviour.
As mentioned ...these are great sounding reeds...but sometimes some seem to recall just plain donít work ...like the one next to it,or another set, or his set or Jimís set,..etc.

Iíve wondered if sometimes when cutting the tongue blank from the large sheet if a small ridge might be left along the edge from the pressure of the cutting blade... causing an inconsistent response from one reed to the next in the mass assembly process.
I recall almost 10 yrs ago years ago having 6 or 7 brand new sets for the band. I tried them all ...virtually every tenor reed growled or double toned inexplicably when played in either drone among 3 sets of pipes. IIRC only 3 tenor reeds of the lot consistently performed as required/desired. Sheesh.