Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Gordonís uniform - india

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
...thanks for that. What struck me,,...assuming that the rest of the lot were dubbed in - bagpipe iliterate extras, was that why / how did they Ďcoincidentallyí place a left handed piper in a major scene ..instead of dumping him for a Ďcorrectí piper like all the other.......snip...............
Don't nt be so offensive.

Paul.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob MacDonald View Post
The film was presented (and received by its intended audience) as 'contemporary fiction', rather than 'historical fiction'. this was told to me by one who would know, he having served in the 1937-38 Waziristan War.

That makes sense. One doesn't have to specify a time-period on films understood to be contemporary.

What strikes me as highly unusual and improbable is the IMDB listing North West Frontier and Khyber Pass as filming locations.

Wiki gives the dates of the Waziristan Campaign as 1936-1939. How could all the actors and production crew arrive in a war zone in 1938 and set about filming a movie?

It's like a Hollywood film about the war in France in 1944 being filmed in France in 1944. Yes there's combat footage and the like, but we're talking a full-scale movie with dozens of actors (some well known) and a crew that could well number 100 people including heavy cumbersome cameras, lights, reflectors, and all the ancillary stuff.

IMDB also lists North Wales and the London studios as filming locations and they strike me as more probable.

I would certainly like to read more about the filming of The Drum, but I haven't come across much on the internet.

About the film itself, I just watched the Highland dancing scene and it looks to me like the older gent is actually playing, and his pipes are magnificent full-silver presentation pipes with a silver shield attached to the bass stock. The dancers likewise seem to know what they're doing but a Highland dancer would be better qualified to comment.

About the uniforms, they're very interesting. The men are wearing drab green (jungle green?) pullover shirts with V-necks which to me appear on screen to be wool. They're wearing P-08 web belts which are also in drab green. The P-08 web belts don't surprise me since the film was shot in 1938 (just a year after the new, narrower web belts were introduced).

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 07-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #13
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
"?????????.....

Along these lines about old war movies....just yesterday a.m. there was ( or did I dream this??) a post that i.d.íd yet another old Goldie....and included a large color sketch of the original movieís cast in a poignant scene...

I donít recall the name of the movie...and think Iíve re-scoured every possible thread more than a few times to find it. Not found...grrr.

Does anyone recall seeing it?...maybe it was exorcised by admin for some reason?...
Coincidentally, thru a different forum vehicle, Iíve just learned, i think,,that the movie mentioned above I am seeking is named Desert Attack starring our very own John Mills aka Basil Barrow of Tunes of Glory fame.

Stand easy!
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote