Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Tjones79
Forum Member

Default New Regulator!

Historically some of the pastoral pipes had one or two regulators, so I thought Iíd like to add one and see if it would expand my playing experience. Because the pipes are made of blackwood, I didnít want to send them back to Geert Lejeune in Brugge, and Iím pretty sure he doesnít make regulators.

Brad Angus lives close and I had heard good things about his pipes, so I thought I would give him a try.

I was pretty nervous, and wonder if Brad could match not only the blackwood, but also the horn, and blend it to the existing style in looks and sound.

Brad exceeded my expectations ~ he was able to match the blackwood and the horn looks fabulous! I feel the quality is first rate, and Iím a goldsmith, so I should know. Not only did he deliver, he did it in the time he said.

The sound of the regulator is not overpowering, and it is in balance with the rest of pipes. It will wonít respond the same as on an uilleann pipe because of the length of the chanter gets in the way, but it adds a nice touch. Now comes the hard part of learning to use the regulator musically.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOJqWnEgnfg1bZRXz4A5AXnJ9XM2dD41xYP-2y_

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...DibgCqTrMTlNaF

Thank you Brad!
Tjones79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Tedley
Forum Regular

Default Re: New Regulator!

Brad is great at that sort of thing. Would like to see it, but the links don't work for me.
Tedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

Would love to see it too. Too many hoops to jump through to view it on that site though. Does sound like an interesting idea.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Tjones79
Forum Member

Try these links ~
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2sbdQqItZUtWhDcw2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WZ11lI9kD2ovulTA2
Old 11-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

That link works for me. Beautiful outcome. Looks like it came that way. When can we expect a sound file?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Tedley
Forum Regular

As the stock was not made for a regulator to be added, Brad did the only thing he could to mount the regulator outside of the stock. If you can access the regulator easily, this is a good solution.
Tedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #7
Tjones79
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedley View Post
As the stock was not made for a regulator to be added, Brad did the only thing he could to mount the regulator outside of the stock. If you can access the regulator easily, this is a good solution.

For what I had in mind, the placement is fine, and there was no room in the stock. I can hit a note on the regulator and add the tone to what Iím playing. Brad is able to play it much like one would play the regulator on an uilleann pipe, but Iím not even close to doing anything like that. I do feel that the length of the chanter probably hinders the access to actually playing to the same level as an uilleann pipe, but adding a note here and there for a nice accent is just what I had in mind, and he was able to make it work keeping the original feel of the pipes. He did a great job for me.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:40 AM   #8
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Gorgeous set of pipes. Lucky man :-)