Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
usmarine
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default New pipes, moisture control question

Hello all,

I purchased a new set of Wallace Classic 2ís yesterday. They were set up as a demo set and seem to be set up well. As this is my first set of pipes I definitely want to take care of them. Iím looking into moisture control systems and unsure as to what I should and shouldnít be looking for. Opinions would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
BGP
Forum Member

Default Re: New pipes, moisture control question.

What kind of bag is on them?
BGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
piper_hm
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: New pipes, moisture control question.

If you have a synthetic bag, I highly recommend the Bannatyne Dri-Flo system. Not bulky (hardly even know it's there), very effective (my drone reeds have never had moisture on them) and easy to maintain.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New pipes, moisture control question

If you're just starting on pipes, I wouldn't worry about it for the first few months - you'll be playing for a few minutes at a time which isn't a concern. Just open up the bag and let it dry out naturally.

Once you're playing for 15-20 minutes continuously it might be worth thinking about.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
usmarine

It is a hybrid bag, a Gannaway hide bag that also has a zipper and rubber stock grommets. Iím no t sure which direction to go as it does have a zipper system, however is also made of hide.

usmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
ronzude

Iíve never had a moisture control system in my pipes, just a spit tube. I open up the zipper after each session and let it dry out. That said, there are reeds that are more sensitive to moisture than others, and it depends a bit on your location, temp, humidity, and of course, length of playing. Semper fi. ETC(SS)

ronzude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:47 AM   #7
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Member

I'd only get one if you are having issues. They aren't a prerequisite.

I had a lot of issues as I'm a wet blower. The combination of hybrid bag and eezedrones drone reeds was a nightmare to get to work . I bought the trapdri full sys, and it does the biz for me. That said I only really had issues after about 30-40mins of playing. Now well over an hour is no problem with no moisture impact on the drone reeds.

If you aren't a wet blower maybe a traditional trap would be enough? Or the trapdri and bottle trap? I like to try and stay away from the contraptions that look like octopodes. Keep it simple.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote