Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #31
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Drone instability, poor blowing or moisture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I'd rather not use some complicated kitty litter system either. Aggravating. I suppose I should get a cow bag and use a split stock, and just play more.

Sounds like the OP had a blown-out reed, glad it got solved.
Same, I'm done with MCS. I run 3 Gannaway and 4 old L&M bags I've picked up either used or new from others, none with even a tube. I only get to each set about once a week but it's working well enough I suppose. I could lose a set or two I think...

An easy reed on its way out in a tropical environment (I like that description William) is no recipe for stability.

I have heard, and el gaitero reiterates for us again, that the Canmore Hybrid is a different beast altogether. You might look it up on the forum and see if you trust those who recommend it. I have not played one.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #32
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Yes, although it's possible for an easy reed to be stable it's much harder to achieve and needs more skill to manage - the main reason most bands play relatively stiff reeds.
Reminds me of the Pipe Major here who had a theory about giving his pipers hard reeds: "They're hard enough that nobody can overblow them, and if underblown the chanter just cuts out."

So there you have it: the chanters are either in tune, or silent.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #33
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
I'm done with MCS. I run 3 Gannaway and 4 old L&M bags...
+1

However I use Gannaway or sheep. No MCS.

Yes back when I started doing this, in the 1970s, everybody here was using the L&M "elkhide" bags. We played them throughout the 80s and even into the 90s when everybody started going to sheep.

Those L&M bags were bulletproof. I played one for over ten years, it was never seasoned once, and when I sold those pipes it was still air-tight.

But! A few years ago, after years of Gannaway and sheep, I picked up an old L&M elkhide on Ebay and tied it into my backup pipes.

OMG when I played those pipes I was amazed how much moisture the L&M trapped! No wonder we had stability issues in the 80s!

You're in a much dryer climate though, I think it's a climate thing.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #34
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
There have been a number of post threads here in huge support of the Canmore Hybrid for moisture management. Iíd ditto every one.
I use a pour-off vinyl tube with a Trap-Dri.
1 set of McCallum poly pipes and one one set of FS Hardie abw...White Mamba and EZ drone reeds.
Seems no mater the environment or temps or play duration the bag interior is always peacefully dry. Iíve only on rare occasion noted a very slight mist at the rear of the bag....naturally in the proximity of the vinyl tube outlet holes.
I'll second that.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #35
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I had decided against another sheep bag because sometimes I don't get to play for a few days at a time, and wanted something that would always be airtight and not need seasoning.
I sometimes only get to play every few weeks and my sheep bag stays airtight between plays. Only have to give it a little seasoning once every few months.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #36
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

I’ll look into a Canmore Hybrid or Ross bag I think. Even in dry Albertan winters with an average of 20% humidity, moisture becomes a very serious issue with my Bannatyne Hybrid.

For MCS I use a trap dry system, with their silica bead system. I may need to bake them soon.

By the way, did L&M cease bag production? I can’t find a website.

Last edited by WBpiper; 03-28-2020 at 06:19 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #37
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yeah. They stopped making bags maybe 10ish years ago. IIRC, the tanning process used to make the bags was found to be bad for the environment, or something to that effect.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #38
Madpiper13
Forum Member

WB,

Iím also in Alberta, and youíll find a number of Professional level players here using sheepskin with no MCS. Sheepskin bags are magical; there fit, feel, tone, and simplicity. Granted, there is some maintenance involved, and you might have to play more consistently, but itís well worth learning their intricacies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madpiper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #39
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Reminds me of the Pipe Major here who had a theory about giving his pipers hard reeds: "They're hard enough that nobody can overblow them, and if underblown the chanter just cuts out."
I remember playing with a band where the P/M would hand out reeds and two aspirin. It was also at a time when it was thought the larger the bag, the steadier the blowing. Both nonsense, at it turns out, of course. But those were the prevailing thoughts.
EquusRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #40
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
It was a time when it was thought the larger the bag, the steadier the blowing.
OMG yes! That was the accepted wisdom then.

We all played the biggest L&M bags we could get.

The very PM who had the hard reed theory also played the biggest bag I've ever seen. It was L&M too, but bigger. IIRC the local shop got a shipment of L&M bags and the PM picked through them and discovered that one was supersized.

That PM's pipes were such a beast to play, what with the stiff chanter reed, enormous bag, and wobbly joints. I had to borrow his set at a Games to play for a drummer and while I was playing the bass drone kept slipping down. But his pipes sounded amazing when HE played them!