Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Ears versus Tuners

[QUOTE=burp birl;1230639]I don't know about the rest of you, but I do know that my blowing is different if I try and use a tuner. If my pipes are tuned with a tuner they are close but I can tell when I start playing a tune that the pipes are slightly out of tune and I have to tweak them a bit and I really feel that this is because I'm blowing slightly different. /QUOTE]

A possible reason that they sound out of tune may be that your ear is accustomed to an out of tune chanter, and you want to get back to what you know and are comfortable with.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #32
Drewz Dronez
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Ears versus Tuners

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp birl View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I do know that my blowing is different if I try and use a tuner. If my pipes are tuned with a tuner they are close but I can tell when I start playing a tune that the pipes are slightly out of tune and I have to tweak them a bit and I really feel that this is because I'm blowing slightly different.

Ultimately what works best for me is to tune by ear and play well known tuning phrases or tunes that I know well.....such as Morag of Dunvegan (lots of High A's, Low A's, and C's), and tweak the drones as needed.

Jenni
Not only is blowing pressure different when playing a tune, it also varies from tune to tune! When comparing chanters in the pipe corps to the designated master chanter you get a different tuning if you play a scale, a different tuning if you play a comfortable tune such as Green Hills and a different tuning again if you play your competition march, jig etc. We have all heard bands sounding good marching down the street to Green Hills, where everyone is confident with the tune but the next tune might be a 4 parted 6/8 and suddenly the band doesn't sound as good. Extra factors in addition to tune confidence, is pipe maintenance and piping fitness - a Pipe Major's job isn't easy, with or without tuners!!
cheers
Andrew

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com
Drewz Dronez is offline   Reply With Quote