Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Default Adult learners who can play straths, reels, jigs and h'pipes.

Calling adult learners who can play straths, reels, jigs, and hornpipes. Please step up to the line and plant your flag here. Two parted tunes are fine, but please say if you are playing the bigger four-or-more parted ones as well.

Please say whether you are getting tuition or not. Tuition covers ongoing teaching for those who have mastered the basics.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
FergusMacIvor
Forum Member

Default Re: Adult learners who can play straths, reels, jigs and h'pipes.

I took up the pipes nearly three years ago at the age of 43. The band I am part of has a P/M who is not only a very good piper but an excellent teacher as well. It's a really great joy to be his student! But unfortunately there are not many jigs or reels amongst the band tunes. I think there's no hornpipe or strathspey, but I'm not sure about it. I must confess, I love that kind of music rather than most 4/4 marches or slow airs and so I try to learn it the autodidactic way. Tunes like Sandie's New Chanter (H) or Lt. Maguires Jig (J) or Dorrator Bridge (S). Not the really difficult ones, but I enjoy learning and playing that kind of music very much. At the moment I deal with The Drunken Landlady (H), The Devil in the Kitchen (S) and some other tunes. I'm well aware that I won't become a good piper but I'm determined to tap the full potential an old man has. I want to see where my limits are. And I want to have fun!
FergusMacIvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
wysper
Forum Gold Medal

Just starting my third year now.
Started at age 39.
I only have one jig under my belt - Corkhill, and I could play it better. But I have started on the jig of slurs as well.
I am learning a reel - Itchy Fingers
I am TRYING to learn a strathspey but find it challenging to say the least. But I think that is as much the idiom as the tune if you know what I mean.

I haven't tried a hornpipe yet.
I have one Piob that I am learning, currently have the ground, 1st variations down and am working on the second - MacDonald of Kinlochmoidarts Lament #1
I am also in the process of learning my first 4 parted march.

I have a teacher, we have weekly lessons.

“Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.” ― Paul Brandt
wysper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #4
olypiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I started learning at 40, I'm in my 9th year now. I have taken lesson periodically, sometimes regularly, sometimes not. I try to do as many competitions as I can to keep getting feedback. I go to workshops and schools as often as I can afford to. I have 2 days with Jack Lee coming up in a couple of weeks.

My current MSR is Johnny Cope, Susan MacLeod and Kildonan. Pervious one was Hills of Perth, Captain Colin Campbell, and Colonel MacLeod. I haven't started on an H/J for competitions yet, but can play a few of them, 2 and 4 parted.

I really enjoy piobaireachd playing most of all. I feel like I am much better at it than the light music. I like to continue to learn and improve.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:51 AM   #5
sheldon hamblin
Forum Regular

As a pipe major, it has been my observation that most pipe majors teach according to the level and the needs of the band. In grade 5 bands we teach mostly marches that can be used on the street or for competition.

If a musician (piper or drummer) has the interest in learning more, you must seek out solo lessons. I did this when I started, 13 years ago. Now I am a pipe major, and compete solo in grade 2.

Bottom line......if you want to learn more than what the band is offering, seek out a knowledgeable teacher, not to replace the band, but to augment.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #6
Adam Sanderson

I'm going to move this thread to Adult Pipers, as it is most definitely more suited there. I will, however, leave a redirect in the BT.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #7
DonT
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I guess I qualify as an adult. In this case at least. *grin*

I started brand new last April on the PC @ 43, and by the time my pipes arrived in November I was 44. I have regular tutoring via Skype by a most excellent piper.

While I can't say I'm terribly proficient at any of them, I'm working with the following tunes I believe fit the description the OP mentioned: Molly Connell & Roderick McDonald's Favourite. I'm also working on the 4 parted marches 79th's Farewell to Gibraltar (competed in Grade 5 with this one last year on the PC), Atholl Highlanders, and Captain Norman Orr-Ewing. I'm also working on the Piobaireachd Struan Robertson's Salute.

I didn't get the memo that says because I'm older that I'll never be able to compete with the "kids", so don't anybody go telling me otherwise. I'm figuring if I work my arse off I'll be playing for a Gold Medal one day!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
DonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

I started at 35 and have been playing for 5 years now. I compete in S/R and don't do poorly at it. I enjoy playing these types of tunes and after starting the usual Paddys Leather Breeches, Curlew, and Minnie Hynd. After trying my hand at Tam Bains Lum and Crossing the Minch, it has brought my strathspeys and reels. up a notch.

I am by no means proficient at them, but the comments are never about the musicality, just nuances like "Put a little more dust on that note to hold it longer."
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
MelodyPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Calling adult learners who can play straths, reels, jigs, and hornpipes. Please step up to the line and plant your flag here. Two parted tunes are fine, but please say if you are playing the bigger four-or-more parted ones as well.

Please say whether you are getting tuition or not. Tuition covers ongoing teaching for those who have mastered the basics.

Thanks.
I started on the PC at age 54. Up on pipes at age 56. I'm now 58 and I have the following in my repertoire:
3 Jigs (Minne Hynd, Granny McLeod, Pipe Major Catherine Young) and I'm working on Banjo Breakdown and The Curlew)
1 hornpipe -- Moonshine (working on Hiccup)
1 Strathspey -- Orange & Blue (working on Caledonian Canal)
2 Reels (Piper of Drummond, The Kilt is My Delight)

Tuition:
I've attended Balmoral School the last two summers for a week each time.
I take lessons about once a month for light music, and I have just started skype lessons for Piobaireachd.

I expect a lot of my self, and I practice a lot, working towards really clean fingering. I can wish all I want that I still had the fingers of a young person, but I do what I can with what I have -- I just want to play the best I can for as long as I can, and since I started late, and only up on pipes a few years, I hope to continue to improve. I began competing in G4 in 2013 to help me improve as well. Last year I played The Dundee Military Tattoo as my 2/4, and this year I am working on Duncan McInnes & King George V's Army for 2014.

I exercise my fingers and I sleep in gloves to keep my hands warm -- I have some slight arthritis, mostly in my thumb joints. Had I started playing at a much younger age, I can imagine all sorts of things, but I didn't. I love piping, and I love the challenges of some of the more difficult tunes. I may be older, but I'm not dead yet...
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

What are you trying to prove, Bish?

I've been playing close to 15 years, having started in my mid twenties. I've played 2, 4, and a few 6 parters of the styles mentioned. (Some better than others, mind you.) I've gotten regular instruction throughout, currently via Skype, and have always found it very beneficial.

Matt