Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Adult learners who can play straths, reels, jigs and h'pipes.

I started at 39, and I just turned 47. I've been taking lessons fairly regularly most of that time.

I can play all those types of tunes. It's just a question of tempo. It takes me a long time to get them up to speed (while keeping them clean) -- especially jigs -- I have a hard time keeping them clean.

For me, the hardest kind of tune to play is a 2/4 march; I find it really hard to hold back on the long pointed notes... I find strathspeys to be the easiest. Reels jigs and hornpipes I tend to have bits I rush through.

The flashiest tune I can play at a reasonable tempo without making a mess is Good Drying. It took me well over a year to get it to a slow tempo.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #12
pbutts
Forum Member

All street band tunes right now. I'm theoretically in my "4th year" (2nd year up on the pipes after a 25 year hiatus).....

Strathspey -- Captain Horne

Jigs -- Galician Jig, Courtney Road Ceilidh

Hornpipe -- Itchy Fingers

The other dance tune we do is the waltz, Ass in the Graveyard.

Ditto to everyone's comments about speed and how the marches are technically harder. I'm curious to see what everyone plays for strathspeys and reels because I'd like to try putting together a competition MSR (and yes, I'll be looking for a Skype tutor sometime soon).

The jigs are coming along nicely, but I've been working on Itchy Fingers up on pipes for about 9 months now and I'm still only reliable at about 2/3 speed.
pbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
Neil Clark

What's the purpose of the research, Bish?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Adam Sanderson

I most definitely do count mysef as an adult learner, as I continue to learn. I know the various genres, for want of a better word, but I can't say that I have ever reached a point where I am satisfied with my playing. Because of this, I continue to take lessons. I can't see myself ever stopping, but as I get older I realise I will have to scale back on the amount of tunes I want to not only learn, but to learn correctly.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #15
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Clark View Post
What's the purpose of the research, Bish?
This question was posed here last year by a sceptic, but it was lost in the middle of a long thread, and I wanted to put it to the test. I am delighted by the response so far. It shows that although it is true that many adult learners never progress beyond the standard parade marches, nevertheless, there are many others who do, and do so with style.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
Neil Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
This question was posed here last year by a sceptic, but it was lost in the middle of a long thread, and I wanted to put it to the test. I am delighted by the response so far. It shows that although it is true that many adult learners never progress beyond the standard parade marches, nevertheless, there are many others who do, and do so with style.
Thanks. Wouldn't doubt that for a second. Although I can't think of any gold medalllists who started after age 18, there are plenty totally competent players.

I teach two of the respondents here.. And take lessons myself. So I'm still a learner. And I have reached adulthood, if not maturity
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #17
make fast
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Since I'm just starting and really love the jigs and reels more than parade marches - I am glad to hear that there is at least a chance!
make fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Thanks. Wouldn't doubt that for a second. Although I can't think of any gold medalllists who started after age 18, there are plenty totally competent players.
I do know of one person who started after 18 and became a professional competitor. I think it helps to have an instructor who assumes you will keep making progress, as opposed to an instructor who believes something different.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #19
Hoot Mon
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I started at 39 and am beginning my 10th year.

Strathspeys: The Rose Amongst The Heather, The Lad That Wears The Plaid, The Marquis of Huntley's Highland Fling, The Orange and Blue

Reels: The Wind That Shakes The Barley, Itchy Fingers

Jigs: Cork Hill, Banjo Breakdown, Walking the Floor, Paddy Be Easy

In addition to weekly band practice, I (and a few other adult learners in the band) get some extremely good instruction from two band members
Old 02-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #20
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
... I can't think of any gold medalllists who started after age 18, there are plenty totally competent players.
How many child learners are there who are gold medalists?