Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Kyo Drones

I have a set on loan from me from Patrick.

I am really, really loving the sound. Integrated with great bass presence. Tenors are full with a solid ring off them. They blend great with both his laminate and ABW chanters ( I have both as well).

I have noticed there are not many threads with guys giving their thoughts on their setup, reeds, etc... and I know many speak very very highly of Murray's pipes.

So I figured I'd start a fresh one:
Please share your thoughts, setup, details, etc.... I'd love to get some feedback and start a recent thread for posterity sake.

Thanks,

David NY

" Let those who lead, glean from the past..." -David Murry (1972- )
Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Kyo Drones

No Kyo players on the boards lately ?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Army MP
Forum Regular

I know there are at least a couple here in Lubbock, other than Patrick though, I do not know if they are on the forums here. I play a 2010 Hardie/Henderson, so I am no help. But have heard the drones, and was very impressed with the tone and integration between the bass and tenors, though I know it can be reed dependant. If I'm not mistaken. Ezee, Canning, and some others Patrick now go great.

I do however play a Kyo laminate chanter when I don't get out the Shepherd ABW. The kyo chanter is phenomenal in tone and comfort.

Last edited by Army MP; 03-28-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Army MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I also don't play Colin Kyo drones, but I do use one of Murray's laminate chanters for solo. It has a very nice sound and (from my point of listening) sounds really good against my Dunbar drones (with Kinnaird Evo reeds).

I've only done one day of solo comp, but both judges made good comments about the chanter. I even took 6th/17 in my leet of the 2/4 march.

I have 4 events coming up in Vegas in April. Hopefully the judges say the same.

In my dealings with Murray, I would be more than happy to purchase a set of pipes from him. I just don't have the money right now...
Jim Fogelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #5
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

My Band plays Kyo Chanters. I like the comfortable spacing, and small holes. I like a big RX holed monster at home, for fun or whatever... but there are some in the band that I wouldn't want to hear with an RX hole monster, or at a super high pitch either.. so the Kyo is brilliant. And as much as I like tape, the Kyo doesn't need much.

Oh.. his Drones. I haven't played or seen one. As I understand it, Murray is going more into the top end now... so if your thinking of a less blinged set, now might be a good time.

Also, Murray is doing a lot of Silver work, for other makers of top end Pipes. Brilliant, full bling Silver.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes the chanters are pretty well known. Every search IO look up has the chanters. I play an ABW and a laminate.

But... I also know there are a number of pipers playing this boutique instrument... for good reason. Just surprised they are not coming out of the woodwork.

Patrick perhaps you can drop by or maybe Bryan too?

D
Old 03-31-2015, 06:45 AM   #7
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army MP View Post
I know there are at least a couple here in Lubbock, other than Patrick though, I do not know if they are on the forums here. I play a 2010 Hardie/Henderson, so I am no help. But have heard the drones, and was very impressed with the tone and integration between the bass and tenors, though I know it can be reed dependant. If I'm not mistaken. Ezee, Canning, and some others Patrick now go great.

I do however play a Kyo laminate chanter when I don't get out the Shepherd ABW. The kyo chanter is phenomenal in tone and comfort.
And thanks Army...
Old 03-31-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Up to acquiring a set of Colin Kyo pipes, I was never a big fan of Ezeedrone reeds but I'm thorough in going through my reed collection for each pipe and the Ezeedrone tenors provided a marvelous ring that isn't grating or harsh, it just floats above everything. With them I used a Henderson Harmonic Deluxe bass reed which is very smooth and a great sounding reed. I played this pipe in competition and faired well and also for a few friends (other musicians) and they were taken aback by the tone of the drones. Unfortunately, I find the Henderson Harmonic Deluxe reed finicky and after a while it decided to stop working reliably so I swapped it for the regular Ezeedrone bass, the tone of which is a bit darker but still complimented the Ezeedrone tenors nicely.

Murray's own reeds also work very well, they give a very slight buzz to the sound for character with the ringing still present. A more full sound than Ezee with HHD bass. I don't think he's made drone reeds in a while though.

A guy in the band has set his CK up with Redwood tenors and an inverted, short Ezeedrone bass. Redwood tenors are bold reeds, but without the buzz or harshness of other bold reeds. The inverted, short Ezeedrone bass is also very bold and not as dark as your standard Ezeedrone reed and it can match the Redwood tenors for volume for what becomes a very big pipe.

They're very accommodating pipes. Crozier glass also works well for a big buzzy sound. Subbing in a Kinnaird bass is equally effective. The right set of Canning reeds gives glorious tenors, think Ezee but better, odd there's some variability there.

Modeled after old Hendersons (1908 I think Murray told me, perhaps I'm mistaken): If you want a strong bass with a little ring on top from the tenors, these are it! Best implementation of an old Henderson sound in a new set of pipes that I've heard.

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 03-31-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

There you are.. thanks Patrick!

Thoughts and insights et al (anyone else)?
Old 04-01-2015, 05:49 AM   #10
NickTaitz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murry View Post
There you are.. thanks Patrick!

Thoughts and insights et al (anyone else)?
i have heard a recording of excellent piper Erik Leiken playing his kyo drones, and it was superb. top class.
NickTaitz is offline   Reply With Quote