Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
9 note Tex
Forum Member

Default Crozier glass drone reed setup problems

I have EZEE drone and Balanced Tone reeds. I followed the setup routine as per the video on the EZEE drone website for both the EZEE and Balanced Tone reeds with success. The Balanced Tone reeds are working flawlessly. I have some new Crozier glass drones that I would love to use. However, I cannot get them to work using the same setup technique as the EZEEs and the Balanced Tones. When I set them up for max efficiency I get a somewhat weak sound at 774. With just a little loss of pressure they drop to a louder, slightly courser sound at 750 area. I rehemped the talons about 1/4 to 1/3 inch away from the reed seats. I am playing Dunbar P2s. Is there a special way to set these reeds up? Is there a break in time required and could this be the problem?
9 note Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Crozier glass drone reed setup problems

774?

I experienced no need for break in time.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

The Glass Croziers have a ramped seat beneath the blade. If you move the bridles down too far you will choke them off. Without seeing them that's is what I suspect has happened. You can also make them harder to blow by making the tongues too short. They are quite a different reed to the ones you are used to.

Try lengthening the blade a little. Hope that works.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
9 note Tex
Forum Member

Sorry 474 and 450.
9 note Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
bog-standard
Forum Clasp

I can only encourage you to keep experimenting with them. I have found them to be among the easiest reeds to get running.
The position of the tuning plug does make a great difference.
You should be able to run them in the Dunbars just fine. You should reseat them flush with the pipe and start over. You shouldn't need to have them sticking out at all.

Last edited by bog-standard; 05-14-2013 at 08:06 AM.
bog-standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
ComberPiper
Forum Regular

I have Dunbars and just added Crozier Glass Drone Reeds. Like said earlier, seat them flush. No problems. Have my old carbon ones for back up. Just trying something different. Sound great. Little louder than the carbons but I play in a street band and love the loud-bold sound! Enjoy!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Where are the tenors tuning on the pins?