Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Tom3353
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Chanter reed suggestions for 1977 Kintail

Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on Pipe chanter reeds. I just started playing again after about 23 yrs. Was in a band and learned back in 1988. Played for about 3-4 yrs. and then life got in the way! Played long enough 10 yrs. ago just to relearn a tune for our son's wedding. Started again in 2012 but had a cracked blowpipe so sent them to Kintail, (pipes are ABW, Kintail, chalice top drones, with original chanter with the nice big sole!! Made in 1977.) Got them back but didn't play for long, Life again!! Just took early retirement at 62 because carpentry was beating me up too bad. Have been playing almost everyday for about a month. Kintail set me up, while they were there, with Selbie drone reeds, I love them. I need a new chanter reed so am looking for suggestion. Make, type, strength etc. I am a solo, at home only player. It's been a while since I bought one and trying to avoid the trial and error thing! I realize everyone has an opinion and that I may get quite a few, but that's ok. Thanks to all.

Last edited by moderator team; 04-18-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Tom3353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Chanter reed suggestions for 1977 Kintail

I would ask for an EASY reed. Or to use modern slang.. 22-25 Inches. "Easy", Med" and "hard" aren't just words that have no particular meaning anymore. There was a time when you hoped that your dealer / reedmaker had the same guestimation of what "Easy" or Med" means.

If you want them extremely easy, the easiest S.O.B. (straight outta box) Reed I know is a green wrap McCann ridgecut ( 1X easy 16-18") . If you ask Shawn Husk for the "easiest reed he will put his name on", he will send you a very manageable 20" reed.

Last edited by moderator team; 04-18-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
jd3214
Forum Silver Medal

If you are looking for an excellent sounding reed that is easy to blow and is true and will suit most modern changers, give David Caldwell a try. Get the DC2 reed. You won't be sorry.
jd3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
jd3214
Forum Silver Medal

Also, get yourself a teacher. He/she might help to keep you motivated this time.
jd3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Chanter reed suggestions for 1977 Kintail

Tom, as I understand it, you are looking for a reed for your 1977 Kintail chanter, and you're not in a band, am I right? That chanter probably likes to play at a slightly ( or more than slightly) lower pitch than most mosern band chanters. I'm playing a 1979 Gillanders and McLeod set with the original McLeod chanter, which tunes at concert B flat ( or sometimes as high as 20 cents sharp of true B flat, alternating with an older, modified Hardie chanter that tues at B flat or slightly lower. I am also currently playing Selbie drone reeds. What works for me as chanter reeds are Apps G3, EZEE_PC, HarrisReedz (No longer made, alas) MacPhee- all molded type reeds, all medium easy or easy. I have never liked ridge-cut reeds in my older chanters- YMMV.

Right now I'm playing a reed made by John Cameron from Ft William, now Falkirk. My back-up chanter reed is another John Cameron reed. John is better known for his sheepskin bags and tells me he's not making reeds for sale any more.

Short version- you'd do best with an easy to medium reed in that old Kintail chanter.

(Tom, I'm also in Massachusetts. Feel free to PM me anytime if I can be of any help.)

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 04-25-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote