Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
YaleDog
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Repaired my bag, got questions...

Hey all. I bought a leather bag from Jack Lee & Sons. Excellent bag.
I did almost all the tie-up, and oh me alas, I slipped and accidentally pierced the bad with my knife, oh say, 3 mm cut.

I had forgotten to put the protective piece of wood, you know...

I installed a bicycle patch outside and inside the bag (there is a zipper), and it seems to work. This patch kit came with its own glue.

My question is, when it is time to season the bag, will the patch inside fall off with the seasoning liquid, or is it tough enough?

Puzzling huh?

Thanks to all.
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Repaired my bag, got questions...

I put a hole in a Ross bag once. Instead of trying adhesive patches, I put a small piece of maple dowel with a groove around it through the hole and tied it in like an extra stock. That repair lasted a good five years.
Depending where your hole is on the bag, that might work. If you don't have the tools to do the dowel thing, you could look for a small hardwood plug that people wear in their gauged earlobes. A little coarse sandpaper around the edge would give it a bit more grip.

As to seasoning around your repair, I don't think the seasoning will compromise the patch adhesive.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I’d swag an added well burnished patch of Gorilla Tape on the inside ( before seasoning) would really do well...and no seasoning fall off worries.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
John
Forum Member

My synthetic bag just gave out (air hissing through the zipper). Got a used Gannaway bag, tied it in and found a small tear/hole by the outside tenor. Think I did it tying the bag in. I put took out the tenor. Cut a couple of small pieces of leather, applied some contact cement inside and outside of the bag and on the 2 leather patches. Stuck them on, tied in the tenor, and nice and airtight. YMMV as I just did this last week, so far its holding up until I get a new bag
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #5
YaleDog
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thank you all! Very good suggestions!!!

What worked in the end was contact cement and leather patches (I had some leftover from the vendor intended for the chanter tie-up).

I did put one inside the bag, and one outside. Now it's safe. I did the seasoning, and nothing fell off! I'm thrilled, the bag is super tight now, and I can play with all the air power I need.

Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!

Alexander