Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #11
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bagpipe Backlash - McDonald's restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCsound View Post
There is a special place in hell for those who weaponize music.
If I remember The Inferno correctly, itd be the outer ring of the 7th circle.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #12
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
If I remember The Inferno correctly, it’d be the outer ring of the 7th circle.
Reservations? Yes, I'm with that party over there, close to the fire. No, not that close - those are the lawyers.
Bob Harper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Anyone going to Woodland in April want to swing by this Mickey Ds and give them some real piping?
Old 02-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
RJB
Forum Member

I don't find this BS funny at all! Pipers have a hard enough time being taken seriously, and then this $hit happens! I hate it when pipers who've taken lessons for a short period think they're able to play in public, then go out and play like this, driving people further away! Whoever thought this was a good idea should have his chanter snapped!
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #15
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJB View Post
I don't find this BS funny at all! Pipers have a hard enough time being taken seriously, and then this $hit happens! I hate it when pipers who've taken lessons for a short period think they're able to play in public, then go out and play like this, driving people further away! Whoever thought this was a good idea should have his chanter snapped!
Agreed! Making a sound is not playing the instrument. I'm not surprised we get the ridicule we do when that cac is what 99% of people associate us with, but then part of the problem is there are alot of substandard 'players' are fantastic self promotionists.

I honestly believe if the average person could hear a real master play the pipes, they'd be turned on to it.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #16
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Agreed! Making a sound is not playing the instrument. I'm not surprised we get the ridicule we do when that cac is what 99% of people associate us with, but then part of the problem is there are alot of substandard 'players' are fantastic self promotionists.

I honestly believe if the average person could hear a real master play the pipes, they''d be turned on to it.
You're so right in that, curiously, it seems the least talented are the most shameless self-promoters. Most of us who can play work hard to educate. We invite them to events (e.g., Oregon Pipers Society) to see the best (we had Stuart Liddell perform this month!); to games/competitions, where we can point out the different grades, etc.; and, well, just play well. Sadly, the talentless edjits exist in too many numbers! But we chip away.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #17
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Is there any other instrument out there that attracts folks who simply want to dress up and make noise in public, passing themselves off as "tradition"? I know a lot of folks who play guitar and piano, for example, as a hobby, but would never dream of hiring out to play gigs as their playing ability was not high.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #18
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

I dunno, Wes -- bars and clubs seem to be full of "bands" that can't play very well, or sing well, or perform a decent cove song, let alone write good original material! But most of those mistakes are made in semi-private.
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #19
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

I wonder if they picked the worst sounding pipe recording they could find, on purpose. Certainly, there are better sounding ones. Yet, out-of-tune pipes are going to be more effective in annoying people. Looks like -- according to the video -- it's annoying more customers and neighbors, though...
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote