Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-11-2019, 06:05 AM   #11
JoetheBagpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Struggling with finger placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
Where about are you located?
The US is a big place....
Indeed it is! More specifically, I'm in the St. Louis, MO area

Thanks!

Joe
JoetheBagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Lots of pipe bands there, maybe approach one and they will give you lessons?

Do the google thing...lots of names come up

https://www.google.com/search?client...t.+Louis%2C+MO
Old 07-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
JoetheBagpiper

Thanks! I found a band that offers free lessons! Holy cow!

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
Lots of pipe bands there, maybe approach one and they will give you lessons?

Do the google thing...lots of names come up

https://www.google.com/search?client...t.+Louis%2C+MO
Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheBagpiper View Post
However, I struggle to get good finger placement consistently. I can have good finger placement, and lift one finger and put it back down and have that horrible sound you get when you don't have all the holes covered completely.

Keep your fingers relaxed enough that you can feel the vibration of the sound coming through the holes.

Change the way you think about mistakes. Mistakes are not bad things that you shouldn't do. They are telling you something. Notice them, listen to them, and try and work out what they trying to say. Mistakes are essential; without them we're not improving, we're just going round in a circle of what we can already do.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #15
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Quote:
More specifically, I'm in the St. Louis, MO area
Be sure to check out the St. Louis Drones Club as well! I'm involved with the local pipers' society in my neck of the woods, and it's been the best choice that I've made for my musical growth! (Aside from taking lessons, of course )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheBagpiper
Thanks! I found a band that offers free lessons! Holy cow!
Out of curiosity, are you planning to join the band or is joining their pipe corps a condition of the free lessons?

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:20 AM   #16
JoetheBagpiper

Thanks Joe!

Yes, I will be looking into the St. Louis Drones Club for sure! I've already liked their page on Facebook. I'd love to attend one of their meetings and get some more info. Hopefully, they give free lessons!

Once I get better at fingering and have a few songs learned, I will be inquiring about lessons. If they'll have me in their pipe corps I will definitely give it some consideration.

Anyways, thanks very much indeed, and thanks to all of you, this Q&A has been very helpful for me!

Joe
Old 07-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #17
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Thanks Joe!

Yes, I will be looking into the St. Louis Drones Club for sure! I've already liked their page on Facebook. I'd love to attend one of their meetings and get some more info. Hopefully, they give free lessons!

Once I get better at fingering and have a few songs learned, I will be inquiring about lessons. If they'll have me in their pipe corps I will definitely give it some consideration.

Anyways, thanks very much indeed, and thanks to all of you, this Q&A has been very helpful for me!

Joe

You have done the right thing in finding some lessons. This will help you out considerably.

There are a number of YouTube videos of self-taught pipers offering their services for money while lacking any ability in piping at all. Unfortunately, these “pipers” give the impression that bagpipes are tuneless, squealfilled instruments. The public deserve better.

Thank-you for searching out some lessons. Also consider making the trip to Winter Storm over MLK weekend in Kansas City. The best of the best will be there as well as those of us who aspire to mediocrity - a search for “winter storm” and “bagpipes” should lead you in the right direction.

Charlie