Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
farleyer
Forum Regular

Default Re: Name this bagpipe

I was refering to picture 18 which I can make out the rgh mark but not he rest of the silver marks are they the same as in picture 9
farleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
12cmgc
Forum Silver Medal

If all the rest are D&N; the RGH appears to be a replacement..... thistle pattern but different from D&N pattern IMO
Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
ottopiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

They appear almost identical to my set of '69 Hardies, though as observed above some of the silver has been replaced (i.e. the tuning pin in photo 17). The D&N hallmark in photo 9 is consistent with those on my set as well.

My original blowpipe is even cracked in the same spot where this set has been wrapped with electrical tape...

cheers,
otto
ottopiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
Don Smith
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks for all the responses on this pipe. So.......would the general opinion be Hardies? ?(That would have been my guess) BUT there has been enough Grainger and Campbell suggestions to make me wonder

Thanks,

Don
Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Ian White
Forum Regular

Hi Don... I got the feeling right off that they are Hardies... Grainger did do copies of Hardie only because that was the Military pipe style of choice back then (Henderson style bores)... but there were many retro fits done in the early '70s of Hardie and Grainger using whom ever was available at the time to add silver. The style of the early Hardie ivory is very much the same as later Grainger (under MacLeod)... so if the age of the pipe is from the 50s then you may have Hardies on your hands. In the 60s Hardie began turning the ivory mounts more like Henderson from the 30s/40s/50s... slightly thinner (that's about when they took over Henderson) while Grainger stayed thicker. In either case, a great set of pipes set with silver and ivory like this is worth $7000 to have Atherton make them for replacement. Cheers
Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 AM   #16
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill Mulvie View Post
A set of bagpipes with RGH stamped silver and mounts/turning which looks like Hardie's style is described as Robertson or Grainger and Campbell
How does this Logic work?
I looked at those pipes in person and they didn't resemble any Hardies I've seen. I've handled dozens and dozens, maybe hundreds, of Hardies and none looked like this. The tone chambers are very fat and the overall look is chunky and squarish. Hardies by comparison are more elegant in profile.

I just went on Ringo's Bagpipe Place Museum and the catalin Grainger & Campbells he shows look very much like this pipe.

Another example of a chunky bagpipe which I believe are G&Cs are Pipe Major Kevin Blandford's old pipes:

Narrow bores and a fat chunky profile= lots of wood= a very heavy bagpipe.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 10-27-2010 at 04:04 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote