Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
gctaylor
Forum Member

Default Gannaway small bag circumference?

In another thread about Bag Slipping there was a suggestion about making a Corset to see if a smaller bag would help. I'd like to make a corset but don't want to use a random size. I'd want to make something the size of my target bag(Gannaway small probably).

Looking at the bag sizes that Andrew Lenz Andrew's Tips: Bagpipe Bag Measurements has on his www site and comparing the circumference of my Gannaway medium (about 23.25 in. / 59 cm fully inflated) I can't really tell what the circumference that a Gannaway small would be. Does anyone have this measurement?

Would a corset work for something long term?

Last edited by gctaylor; 07-16-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: clarity
gctaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
dsb0628
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Gannaway small bag circumference?

Re: Corset. Read the same posting, tried it, found improvement in holding bag.

My suggestion is to try a portion of an old pant leg.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
bagpiperhipple
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb0628 View Post
Re: Corset. Read the same posting, tried it, found improvement in holding bag.

My suggestion is to try a portion of an old pant leg.
Yea, that was my post, just go by the height of whatever bag you want to copy, which is bottom to top of bag deflated (from what i understand).

then just cut fabric twice the desired length, fold in half, then sew together. and BAM! small bag size
bagpiperhipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Andrew Lenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiperhipple View Post
cut fabric twice the desired length, fold in half, then sew together. and BAM! small bag size
Just to be clear, you'd want the fabric a bit longer than the final size, then after folding it in half, you'd sew so that your seam is placed at the point where the distance from the seam to the fold will be equal to the height of the target bag size.

In other words, if you want to match a bag that is 10" high, you'd cut a strip of fabric about 22" long, fold it in half and sew a seam at 20" from the fold, leaving an inch of extra fabric (flaps) so your seam doesn't tear out.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
gctaylor
Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. I was/am looking for something even more accurate. For example my medium Gannaway has a listed height of 10.5" so going by the suggestions here you'd assume the circumference would be 21". But it's not. It's 23.25". I could just add a couple of inches to the small bag size measurement, and use that as my corset size but a couple of inches seems like a lot of variance to me. Am I splitting hairs here? If I made the corset too small or too big it could influence my experience because of the inacuracy.
gctaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
ottopiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

As to the discrepancy between Andrew's measurements and yours remember that; Leather is elastic, it will be bigger when inflated and stressed - this is what gives you more control with a hyde bag. Leather stretches with age and use (hence 'fits like a glove'). Andrew's data was collected from 2004 to 2010. It's possible that over that time designs and dimensions have changed slightly.

Cheers,
Jared
ottopiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
ottopiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I've been using the same pipe bag 'corset' since 2005 on my Med. Ross and I'm quite happy with the bag comfort (and with how clever it makes me feel). It doesn't press on my left forearm anymore and the bag's not so small that tone is uncontrollable.

I cut the leg off an old pair of jeans at the knee and tightened it slightly by sewing a fold in with some black waxed hemp - never fails. Later on I sewed another shorter fold in to give the bottom of the neck more of a swan-like taper. Bottom line is that it's going to take some experimentation to get the bag/corset to your liking.

Otherwise, and esp. if you know that the Gannaway small is perfect for you then go buy one because you're not going to reproduce it exactly.

Good luck,
Jared
ottopiper is offline   Reply With Quote