Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2017, 04:20 AM   #1
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scottish Global Citizen
Posts: 355
Default Portable recording hardware and software

I've decided to revisit my recording set up as it's been a couple of years since I looked at it. I find my current recordings are a bit "tinny" sounding with very little drone sound coming through.

I don't want to spend valuable time setting up a pile of equipment or software but I'm prepared to learn to use a new App so long as it's not overly complex. Ideally I want to set up quickly, record, trim away the excess noise etc. upload to dropbox, job done. I'm recording using an Iphone and editing and uploading are currently done on my Macbook. Anything I use has to be transported the five minute walk to my practice room, along with my pipes.

The equipment I currently have available is an Iphone, a Blue Microphone, Ipad, MacBook Pro

I'm not very familiar with but have GarageBand. I currently use a Voice memo app, I think I need to move to an Audio recording App.

Recordings are for my own use/tutor review.

I want to convince my husband I need a Zoom IQ7...but do I really?

Any ideas gratefully received. My current set up more or less works, I'm aiming now to make the listening experience a bit more pleasurable.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 243
Default Re: Portable recording hardware and software

I record with a Blue Snowball and then put it into Garage Band. I think trying Garage Band would be worth your time, it's very easy to adjust levels in the program, you might find that increasing mid and low frequencies is all you need to get the sound you want. (Or reducing the high frequencies).

I have found that playing with the mic to my left or right also helps to keep the chanter from drowning-out the drones entirely. (Rather than playing directly-at the mic.) Distance also seems to help, if I put the mic up about level with my head, some 20' away, to my left or right, I tend to get a more, "balanced," sound.

I have a friend who records with an H1:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&sku=1261239

and it does a really great job, especially for the price. That's something I plan to purchase soon, myself, so I can't speak to using it out of much personal experience. But if you've got a Mac, I most certainly do highly recommend giving Garage Band a try.

Best of luck!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scottish Global Citizen
Posts: 355
Default Re: Portable recording hardware and software

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
I record with a Blue Snowball and then put it into Garage Band. I think trying Garage Band would be worth your time...
I have the Blue Yeti. I was almost afraid someone would suggest revisiting Garage Band. I will though, we might get along better than we did a few years ago.

Quote:
I have found that playing with the mic to my left or right also helps to keep the chanter from drowning-out the drones entirely. (Rather than playing directly-at the mic.) Distance also seems to help, if I put the mic up about level with my head, some 20' away, to my left or right, I tend to get a more, "balanced," sound.
That sounds like a great tip, I tend to move when I record and I won't change this but perhaps for recordings where I want to focus on the sound I'll keep this in mind. I will definately raise the level of my mic though, it's usually sitting below shoulder level.



Quote:
I have a friend who records with an H1:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&sku=1261239

and it does a really great job, especially for the price. That's something I plan to purchase soon, myself, so I can't speak to using it out of much personal experience. But if you've got a Mac, I most certainly do highly recommend giving Garage Band a try.

Best of luck!
I think I'd still like to get something more portable than the Mac and Blue but perhaps I should work with Garage Band for a bit and see how that goes before changing hardware.

You've been really helpful, thanks.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
bwbees0
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 49
Default Re: Portable recording hardware and software

Hi,

I use a TASCAM DR-22WL for most of my recording. I then use Audacity to process the file. When the recording is complete, just plug the TASCAM into the computer with a USB cable to transfer the file and then make any desired edits with Audacity. I have also used Zoom mic in the same manner. Both work great.

Cheers,
Ben
bwbees0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:20 AM   #5
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scottish Global Citizen
Posts: 355
Default Re: Portable recording hardware and software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbees0 View Post
Hi,

I use a TASCAM DR-22WL for most of my recording. I then use Audacity to process the file. When the recording is complete, just plug the TASCAM into the computer with a USB cable to transfer the file and then make any desired edits with Audacity. I have also used Zoom mic in the same manner. Both work great.

Cheers,
Ben
The TASCAM looks amazing, Ben. I love the Wifi capabilities. Unfortunately, it appears to be about four times the price here in Singapore. It's moved to the top of my list though.

Audacity, I'd forgotten about that one. I spent a good chunk of last night trying to find my way around GarageBand, I may take a look at Audacity tonight.

Thanks for your thoughts. Things have really moved on since the last time I looked into this.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southwest, USA
Posts: 607
Default Re: Portable recording hardware and software

The PipeHacker website has a good setup discussion. I don't remember the specifics, but it is all spelled out and the recordings there are good.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,362
Default Re: Portable recording hardware and software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl View Post
I've decided to revisit my recording set up as it's been a couple of years since I looked at it. I find my current recordings are a bit "tinny" sounding with very little drone sound coming through.
The Blue Yetti has a wonky frequency response curve, but it's flattest in the XY stereo mode.

Have you tried the ipad's internal microphone? They are pretty flat down to 200hz.

The Rode i-XY mic is the same price as the iq7. It's flat down to about 70hz.

I have found that it is very difficult to get a good sounding recording of a GHB using a single directional microphone (or stereo pair). If you want more drone, then put the microphone higher, but it will then change the sound of the chanter.
__________________
bob864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 5,690
Default Re: Portable recording hardware and software

I use a Zoom H2 recording to mp3. Of course, what you record with is not why I'm posting. I publish snippets of my practice sessions to my blog, so a small file that is universal, i.e. mp3, is necessary.

If you record to mp3, do not use Audacity to export pieces of the larger file into smaller files. It re-encodes the data and the result sounds terrible. I don't really like using it even to export mp3 from lossless formats like wav.

If you record to mp3, use an MP3 trimmer to excise smaller bits of audio from the larger file; it does this without re-encoding, preserving the original audio recording data. For obvious reasons, it is best to record using a constant bit rate.

I'm on a mac and use MP3 Trimmer:
http://deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/

I just turn the recorder on, play for an hour, move the ~100 MB mp3 to my computer, and then quickly run back through and export the audio I want to save with MP3 Trimmer and done. No messing about with turning the recorder on and off.

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 10-17-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scottish Global Citizen
Posts: 355
Default Re: Portable recording hardware and software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post

I just turn the recorder on, play for an hour, move the ~100 MB mp3 to my computer, and then quickly run back through and export the audio I want to save with MP3 Trimmer and done. No messing about with turning the recorder on and off.
This is something I need. Much easier than having to remember to start and stop. I'll check it out.

I'm working my way through all the suggestions, except anything involving Audacity which I'm not getting along with at all.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 PM.