Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Old "paper clip trick" for cane drone reeds

Greatly Astonished Greetings... and Gratitude... Unto All,

I am vastly appreciative of all of your Posts... and for the vid.

It is now crystal clear... both in concept... and in its execution.
(And who ever said... that pipers weren't a clever lot?! :)

Not wishing to bedevil the matter... but how long has this "trick"
been used? (Not before the advent of paper clips... I would think.)

And in a pub setting... I shall most probably continue to ask some
fair damsel for a strand of her hair... rather than harry the barman
to rummage in some drawer... for a paper clip... and a pair of pliers. :)
(Never harry the barman! You may need all the friends you can get! :)

Again, many thanks, and

Regards to All,

Pip01

Gold Sponsor
Old 11-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Hi,

I'd like to learn this method myself. My cane reeds are in a ziplock bag for the moment; I'm not able to get out the pipes frequently enough to keep them going. (They really need to be played almost every day to stay blown in and calibrated.)
I'd like to get them going again though. My questions about the paper clip are, will the clip prevent you from being able to shut the reeds off? Does it interfere with their efficiency? I like to have my drone reeds well calibrated.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #13
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Beat me to it! I was just going to post precisely that. Thanks!

And sorry Pip01 ... I probably should have articulated this with my question, for the benefit of those who may not have known.

Cheers to all,
~Nate
If I remember correctly and I could be way off base on the author but wasn't this trick shown in Bruce Liberati's book on bagpipe reeds back in the late '80's?
Despite the paperclip working I remember people scoffing at the idea back then.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Hi,
My questions about the paper clip are, will the clip prevent you from being able to shut the reeds off? Does it interfere with their efficiency? I like to have my drone reeds well calibrated.
Very good, and valid questions. As to efficiency, I can't imagine the clips would interfere any more than if one were to have sprung the tongue too hard. If they're taking too much or too little air, simply move the clip's position accordingly.

As to being able to stop them off, I can see how that might prove problematic, but I have yet to try the method out. I'm sure someone here can probably comment.

I'll be trying this out in the next day or two, and I'll comment back after having done so.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

The paper clip trick has been around as long as I've been piping at least, so since about 1987 probably much earlier as it was a pretty common technique even back then.

There is no harm in leaving them in. The trick is simply to push the clip in deep enough to give you just the right amount of tongue height you need to keep the reeds going well but still able to stop them if you touch the top of your drone.

If the bend in the clip is high enough the tension will cause the clip to stay in place wherever you put it for as long as you want it in there.

I highly recommend you put the extra bend in the clip as shown in my video so you can position the clip forward or back as needed.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #16
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
The paper clip trick ... clip forward or back as needed.
Annnnnd there he is! I was hoping you might chime in Shawn. Thanks so much as always, you're a constant source of help and expertise.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 11-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #17
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Hi,
I'd like to get them going again though. My questions about the paper clip are, will the clip prevent you from being able to shut the reeds off? Does it interfere with their efficiency? I like to have my drone reeds well calibrated.
You'll be able to use the paperclip to adjust the reed to your blowing strength and still shut it off if necessary. It's a much easier adjustment than tying/untying the bridle for the proper tension and sliding it to find the perfect position. I always found the paperclip pretty forgiving when I played a cane that was troublesome.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #18
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

I found it frustrating because it seemed i needed to adjust the clip at the beginning and later in a practice. It needed to stay in the reed, but took some adjustment regularly. Maybe i just didn't find the best adjustment.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #19
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Shawn's advice is right on, IME. If done right, the clip keeps the reed a BIT more open then it would otherwise be, but not so much that it takes too much air or won't shut off. Sometimes, having it in there for a while will train the tongue to stay in that position (allowing you to remove the paper clip) and sometimes not. I didn't find any real difference in the performance or longevity of the reed, either way. Some of them benefited from the having the clip in there permanently and some didn't need it at all.

One bit of advice that might be helpful: check the tension on your bridles. If a reed is allowed to dry out, you may find that the bridle is now too loose to do its job adequately. In that case, re-tying one at the appropriate tension is sometimes all the reed needs to return to proper function. I'd check that before you start springing tongues and paper-clipping.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #20
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

All very helpful and insightful. Thanks to all for the input.

Cheers,
~Nate