Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
dsb0628
Forum Gold Medal

Default Scotland April 2019

Planning Scotland trip by train/bus/ferry from Edinburgh, Inverness, Orkney (Kirkwall), Ullapool to Lewis (Stornoway), Harris to Skye (Portree) to Mull (Tobermory), Oban, Iona, Glasgow, Edinburgh. Looking for suggestions for stops related to bagpipe makers, events, museums, etc. Have traveled portions of the route previously.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Default Re: Scotland April 2019

If you are in Stornoway in April why not catch the Donald MacLeod Memorial Competition? All the top names will be playing there.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

If you're bringing your pipes, a tune at the MacCrimmon Cairn, Borreraig is a must (if you can find it!).

No trip to Glasgow is complete for any piper without calling into the National Piping Centre, the food is amazing apart from anything else.

You might not still be around early May for the Highlands and Highlands Music and Dance festival in Oban and I'd agree with the previous posted, the Donald Macleod competition would be a must see.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Anndrah
Forum Member

Looks like you will pass about evey maker, so pick your favorite and send them a note.
The Oban distillery is cant miss IMHO, as well as what was already stated.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
Loud-one
Forum Member

Not to hijack this thread, but I am going in June of 2019. Anything interesting happening then?
Old 09-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I wish there was a 'piper tour' you could take of Scotland. Like the J.Peterman Tour from Seinfeld, you would get a guided tour tracing all of the interesting sites in Scotland as they relate to pipers and bagpiping. Going to a cairn is one thing, but having someone knowledgeable take you there and tell you what you need to know and why it is important would be so much more memorable and moving. Battle sites, castles, islands, etc.. I'm sure it would take several days (a week?), but I bet you could do it year round and always have a good tour group..

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl View Post
If you're bringing your pipes, a tune at the MacCrimmon Cairn, Borreraig is a must (if you can find it!).
My wife and I stayed in Borreraig, years ago. Went to the cairn.

That was when you had to take the ferry to Skye. (The bridge makes the Skye Boat Song a bit dated, eh?)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
My wife and I stayed in Borreraig, years ago. Went to the cairn.

That was when you had to take the ferry to Skye. (The bridge makes the Skye Boat Song a bit dated, eh?)
In fact, the Skye boat song is about travelling from Benbecula to Skye, not the Mainland.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

The brother is running a camp site just outside Stirling. Loads of piping and history around there. Only an hour from Glasgow and a little further to Edinburgh.

They have a Sea King helo on site for the Glamping tourist.

PM if you want details.

Paul.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
Neil Clark
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
I wish there was a 'piper tour' you could take of Scotland. Like the J.Peterman Tour from Seinfeld, you would get a guided tour tracing all of the interesting sites in Scotland as they relate to pipers and bagpiping. Going to a cairn is one thing, but having someone knowledgeable take you there and tell you what you need to know and why it is important would be so much more memorable and moving. Battle sites, castles, islands, etc.. I'm sure it would take several days (a week?), but I bet you could do it year round and always have a good tour group..

-Matthew
I used to do that, but stopped when we downsized the house. Guests stayed with me. Have done a few day/half days since then. As it happens, April can be a quiet month, and I'd be happy to do that again. Make a wee break for me too, from teaching every week. If this is your thing, please let me know, be happy to help.
Neil Clark is offline   Reply With Quote