Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Pictish Boar
Forum Member

Default Tone Protector vs. Pipers Pal

So trying to determan how the Tone Protector is better and or different from the Pipers Pal? I’ve successfully used the Pipers Pal for years and love it. What are your experiences with both or either? Is it worth the $70 if you already have a Pipers Pal? Opinions please!
Pictish Boar is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Default Re: Tone Protector vrs. Pipers Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictish Boar View Post
So trying to determan how the Tone Protector is better and or different from the Pipers Pal? I’ve successfully used the Pipers Pal for years and love it. What are your experiences with both or either? Is it worth the $70 if you already have a Pipers Pal? Opinions please!
So...my experience is only one opinion - YMMV. I started using the Piper's Pal in 2009, on the recommendation of an open-grade piper who was a student of my first pipe teacher. It made a huge difference over the non-moisture control cap I was using. My chanter reed was more stable, and my warmup time was cut in half - from close to 20 minutes to 10 minutes.

Cut to 2018. Almost 10 years after buying into the Piper's Pal (and following a break from playing), I decided to pick up a Tone Protector cap. My warmup time went from 10 minutes to a minute and a half, and my chanter reed was noticeably more stable. I don't really understand why it works better, but my experience is that the Tone Protector offers a noticeable improvement in performance over the Piper's Pal cap. Again, YMMV, but I'm a convert.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I used a PipersPal for a few years and liked it. I purchased the ToneProtector last December and really like it.

Warm-up time is greatly reduced. Personally, I don’t buy the “warmer, richer sound” hype, nor the bit about reeds lasting longer. The sales pitch is rather in your face, IMO.

It does a good job of protecting my chanter reed, shortening warm-up time, etc. So, for me it was worth the purchased price.

Charlie
Old 09-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #4
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I used a Piper's Pal shortly after joining back with my band after a few year hiatus. It worked well enough. I found that I was constantly having to rehydrate the crystals though.

About a year ago, our G2 band decided to go for the Tone Protector and our G4 and G5 bands went along as well. I find the Tone Protector nicer in that it seems to stay at the perfect 84% humidity for longer than the Piper's Pal would stay at an unknown humidity level. I do find that it has a quicker warm-up time and that the reed stays more consistent between plays.

I will say, however, that in the year or so that I've had it, I've had to change the humidity pack a few times (I know some people have had luck with recharging the packs, but I didn't - might try again when this one dries out).

One thing I started doing with the PP that I continue with on the TP is to cork the cap when it's not on the chanter. I find this helps to keep it from drying out while exposed to the air.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Corking the ToneProtector really helps.

Also, here in dryish Colorado, many pipers have taken to storing their pipes in airtight cases. This prevent the pipes from drying out too much between playing sessions and probably also reduces usage of the humidity packs used in the ToneProtector.

In just less than a year, I have only on my third humidity bag. I purchased a bulk pack of them from Amazon. I am keeping my old ones and will attempt to rehydrate them in sterilized distilled water in a canning jar.

Charlie
Old 09-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

So I just need to buy some humidity packs on Amazon and put them inside the chanter caps I already have?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Probably, you’d just need to make sure they fit your chanter cap without touching or damaging your reed.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

Would the chamber size make a difference in terms of mold growth? And weather it is vented (with or without a stick).
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #9
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

The TonePretector does not used a stick to fully block the chanter, which I suspect reduces the risk of mould.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:04 AM   #10
Kevin Palm
Forum Gold Medal

I personally have used the Piper's Pal for the past few years, and earlier this year switched to the upgraded Alert Cap. I used to get mold on my reeds if I put the caps on immediately after playing them. Now I leave the chanter uncapped for an hour or so before capping and I haven't had mold since.