Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Irish Funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmunmousavi View Post
Heartily agree.
Letís hear it.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Letís hear it.

https://youtu.be/JHJ3DEKlz8A

Here you go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #13
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

That high part adaptation is pretty lame. Take the most memorable part of the tune and castrate it so the tune can be played on the highland pipes.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #14
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Here's what I usually play for Irish Funerals:

Oft In The Stilly Night, She Moved Through The Fair, The Minstrel Boy (Slow, not peppy) Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore; For Ireland, I'll Not Tell Her Name; The King Of Love My Shepherd Is/O Breathe On Me, O Breath Of God; The Lark In The Clear Air*, Galway Bay, Let Erin Remember, A Nation Once Again, The Galway Shawl, My Own Dear Galway Bay*, The Wearin' Of The Green ( Slower), Low Lie The Fields of Athenry*… Faith Of Our Fathers, Going Home**, The Bantry Girl's Lament, Mo Ghile Mear and then The Parting Glass as people leave the site.

* these tunes need a high B ** should be played with a high G#, but most pipers play G.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 12-05-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

being Irish and living in Ireland here is my 2 cents worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Check out the tune list here https://www.halleonard.com/product/v...wtype=songlist

Hopefully you already know a few of them.

Kevin
Just about the only tune there that you could use for a funeral is Samhradh Samhradh.

Most of the well known marches, Minsteral Boy,, let Eirn Remember, Dawning of the day, God save Ireland, a Nation once again, Twenty men, Step together, Eileen Aroune, Mountains of Pomery(sp?), Wrap the green flag, Roddy Mac, '98. Those kinds of tunes all work well.

Airs like the Green Glen's of Antrim, Paddy's green shamrock shore, The parting Glass.

I'd avoid Danny boy on the pipes. Despite somepeople forcing it, it's not really do'able.

See Liam Clancy's funeral on YouTube for how the parting glass goes.

Paul.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #16
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
That high part adaptation is pretty lame. Take the most memorable part of the tune and castrate it so the tune can be played on the highland pipes.

You seem pretty determined to be right. Just cause you canít play more than 9 notes on the chanter doesnít mean you shouldnít bother playing certain tunes that go beyond that range. What about the low notes of Auld Lang Syne as it is sung? You go back up to the top hand to play them on the pipes and it doesnít make the tune sound lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Every tune is different. You seem determined to be right just as much. Iím not trying to convince you, but anyone else who might be listening, because you obviously think itís a grand idea.

However, instead of shooting for recognizable, letís shoot for enjoyable. And that version of Danny Boy just doesnít have it.

As others have posted, there are many other highland pipeable tunes that are better suited for the occassion.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #18
RJB
Forum Member

I'm with Patrick and Paul on this one.

I can't stand it when people can't play a tune the way it's supposed to sound. I've heard people try to play Danny Boy on pipes, and when the tune reaches the point where notes are altered, heads turn sideways like a robin listening for a worm.

Same goes for America the Beautiful. Hey, I'm as patriotic as the next person, but the same goes for that tune. Everyone has their eyes closed, listening to how beautiful it sounds, then all of a sudden....huh? heads turn, as if to say "that's not how it goes".

Now, if you're playing an obscure tune that few know, nobody will know if a note is being altered or not, so you're not so much at risk.

Just sayin'............
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #19
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Don’t get me started! The pipe version of Shoals of Herring is total crap.

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 12-05-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #20
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

re: Danny Boy: I am not happy playing it on Highland pipes. Yes it can almost be played, but taking the high note(s) down an octave robs the melody of its dramatic climax. I'm also a lyric tenor ( Something I found out fairly late in life, alas) and it bothers me to lame the tune by cutting the flow off at the most emotional part.

I have offered to sing it rather than play it many times, and have had people cry when I did, but not for the same reasons they would if I had played it in an altered form.
YMMV.

As for America The Beautiful and The Star Spangled Banner, IMHO it would be unpatriotic to butcher them by chopping up the melody to fit the 9-note scale. In the Case of the Star Spangled Banner, I interpret the National Anthem Code as prohibiting such (re)arrangements of the melody.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 12-05-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote