Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #21
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Default Re: What does the EUSPBA do?

I don't think Steve, Nate, and thevoidboy are fundamentally in disagreement. And I agree with all of you .

Competition is part of the piping culture, and it does do something to preserve and forward the art. There are other parts of the culture that are important, too, and they should be reflected in what we expect pipe band associations to do. I think there's a lot to discuss as far as WHY associations do (and don't do) various things. I do think it's worth discussing how we cultivate and maintain an audience (or not), and how we expand the bounds of our art form, so that it grows and becomes vibrant (and what role we expect entities like PBAs to play in that).

FWIW, I do believe that the EUSPBA publishes a treasurer's report? They certainly used to. I haven't been to an AGM in 20+ years...
Dan Bell is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #22
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Those mission statements are a load of tosh meant only to satisfy the IRS requirements for tax exempt status..same as what most charities do...
Old 12-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #23
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

A mission statement is meant to distinguish the main purpose of an organization as it would be different from one formed for profit. Often times they are broad and meant to be able to stretch as the organization programs change over years without having to establish a new organization every time they want to do something differently.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #24
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quick side question:

I keep seeing it called "The EUSPBA." Does that mean you pronounce each letter separately?

In my head, I've always called it as one word - kinda like Yoospuhbah since out here, WUSPBA is pronounce as Woospuhbah.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #25
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
Quick side question:

I keep seeing it called "The EUSPBA." Does that mean you pronounce each letter separately?

In my head, I've always called it as one word - kinda like Yoospuhbah since out here, WUSPBA is pronounce as Woospuhbah.

Ive heard both “youspba” and “e, u, s, p, b, a.”

The single letter version is a mouthful, but the former doesn’t really roll off the tongue easily, so I opt for the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote