Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Lee and Sons Bagpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Weasner View Post
Right?? Especially coming from the guy with like 9 sets of pipes. (That all sound the same, apparently?) LOL!

Sorry I have nothing useful to add to this thread.
Neither do I, other than to say each of those 9ish sets has its own sound and having been optimized, in my estimation, all sound good. I have realized for myself that most every pipe has its merits and so if you fancy a set: BUY IT. But donít necessarily expect it to be orders of magnitude better than what youíre already playing if youíve done your due diligence in setting up your current instrument. The new set will have a different tone that you can appreciate though, and for that it is worth it. Until you get to 9 or so and then youíre like, okay, thatís enough differences for me. Then you get lost in acquiring smallpipes, border pipes, and maybe even an uilleann pipe.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #12
thevoidboy
Forum Member

They clearly sound different. And clearly sound good.

Itís all a matter of taste, though.

(And ability, but all things being equal: taste.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #13
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Knox

You can hear Jack Lee playing his Lee and Sons pipes in the 2018 Glenfiddich here

(piob., The Daughter's Lament) and here

(double MSR, The Marchioness of Tullibarine, John Roy Stuart, Dolina MacKay).

Steve,

From your above vid post... your Post # 6...

Thank you!! And, very very much!!
(Perhaps a bit of something... for which... we might aim... :)

Regards,

Pip01

Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #14
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

I had the privilege of a front row concert by Jack a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed the tone of his Lee and Sons pipes and, of course, his incredible playing and banter. IMHO, these Lee and Sons pipes are quite melodic with plenty of harmonics, very much solo-type pipes, to put them in that category. As a player of Hendersons, Lawries, Kyos, and Dunbars, I did not find a comparatively strong bass presence with the Lee pipes, but that is not a negative; some will prefer a more forward bass presence, others something more integrated. They are a top drawer instrument -- but then again, this is already a demonstrated fact!

Here's a link to some of the video footage I managed to capture -- as with the other videos, it's nice to be able to hear the pipes from the front, back, and walk-bys...
Old 05-24-2019, 12:22 AM   #15
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPark View Post
I had the privilege of a front row concert by Jack a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed the tone of his Lee and Sons pipes and, of course, his incredible playing and banter. IMHO, these Lee and Sons pipes are quite melodic with plenty of harmonics, very much solo-type pipes, to put them in that category. As a player of Hendersons, Lawries, Kyos, and Dunbars, I did not find a comparatively strong bass presence with the Lee pipes, but that is not a negative; some will prefer a more forward bass presence, others something more integrated.
I know where you're coming from about the solo type of sound and drone presence versus say a band type of signature. What slowly gets to me is every mainstream set of pipes becomes "Henderson". For example, three out of the four pipes you mentioned are all based on a Henderson with some tweaks (similar vintage Hendersons even). You nailed it on the head with the strong bass presence; it's a great style and I've owned one. But when another larger and quality maker with a different famous traditional sound adjust their specs to be more in line with the Henderson tradition it can get a bit tiring.

I suppose I wish there were diversity. Or that more pipers would see the pleasure in less "bass dominant" pipes and purchase other types of sounds. These Lee and Sons pipes to my ears are going the other direction and I really like that.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #16
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
What slowly gets to me is every mainstream set of pipes becomes "Henderson"...I suppose I wish there were diversity. Or that more pipers would see the pleasure in other types of sounds.
For sure! I've mentioned that in connexion with the solo contest at our Queen Mary Games, held in a smallish indoor space with great acoustics, where you can really hear each pipe. (And you're only a few feet away.)

That "Henderson sound" becomes a background wash against which any other sound stands out.

Pipes that clearly stood out included Athertons, Gibsons, and McCallums. I'm not saying better or worse, but different.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #17
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Weasner View Post
...the guy with 9 sets of pipes that all sound the same...
I think we all know that an experienced player will get "his" sound from different sets of drones that he's set up to his liking.

Yes there will be differences imposed by the drones, but basic aspects of the tone will be controlled/influenced by the player and his reed selection and adjustment.

That struck home when I heard the same great player playing an old Robertson set, then a new McCallum set, and getting "his sound" with both.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #18
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

We have a set in the house here. I say We, but they belong to my wife. The pipes demonstrate a high level of stability in tone, even with blowing that perhaps may not be the most steady on earth. The pipes tune easily with the harmonics being sharp and well defined. As many do, these are paired with an ABW Gandy chanter with MacPhee chanter reeds. The sound is glorious, as many have reported. The key is that there is a predictable sound, great steadiness, and an accessible pipe. Together these qualities make for a really supportive instrument.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #19
paul_111
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarb View Post
We have a set in the house here. I say We, but they belong to my wife. The pipes demonstrate a high level of stability in tone, even with blowing that perhaps may not be the most steady on earth. The pipes tune easily with the harmonics being sharp and well defined. As many do, these are paired with an ABW Gandy chanter with MacPhee chanter reeds. The sound is glorious, as many have reported. The key is that there is a predictable sound, great steadiness, and an accessible pipe. Together these qualities make for a really supportive instrument.
Very intriguing description, thanks!
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote