Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-27-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Default Question about Smallpipe reeds

Hello everyone,

This might be a dumb question, but what makes smallpipe/folk pipe drone reeds different from GHB reeds? Would it be possible to put a set of GHB drone reeds into a set of smallpipes, fiddle with them a bit, and be good to go?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm eyeing a set of McCallum folk pipes, but they come with Ezeedrone reeds and I'm just not a huge fan of those. Exploring alternatives. Thanks in advance for any input!

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-28-2019, 04:57 AM   #2
Adam Sanderson

Default Re: Question about Smallpipe reeds

The reeds are smaller and have inverted tongues. I don't know much/anything about mouth blown smallpipes/folkpipes, but the dimensions suggest they use a similar sized drone reed to bellows blown pipe.

Eezedrone reeds for smallpipes in A tend to look like mini versions of the GHB eezedrones, apart from the inverted tongues. Eezedrone reeds for smallpipes in D tend to look like mini versions of the A smallpipe eezedrones.

Not all smallpipe drone reeds are interchangable. I wanted to try out a set of Nathan Bantons smallpipe reeds, (which have an excellent reputation), but they were much too large to fit into my Kinnear pipes. I can just barely use Eezedrones on them, as they fit and no more. Taking them out of the common stock is usually a struggle to avoid damaging the inverted tongue. I still use cane.

If the folk pipes are designed to work with Eezedrone reeds, I'd suggest that's probably the safest option.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ezeedrone are pretty much the only synthetic game in town, making reeds specific to your smallpipes’ design, apart from the original manufacturer of your pipe, in some cases.

Their smallpipe drone reeds work very well and are so different from highland pipe reeds, one is not a reflection of the other (though I have come around to liking Ezeedrone highland reeds as well). They are in no way interchangeable, between small and highland pipes.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
Lochie
Forum Regular

Ezeedrone reeds have a strong reputation in the GHB world, and I have used them in the past. Dont just now, as there are a lot of other options available and I have found my preferred set up.
However, I have 3 sets of bellows blown smallpipes, keys A,C & D, all purchased used, and all equipped with ezeedrone reeds. All have had years of use by me, and probably a lot more by the previous owners.
I had to adjust one reed, once only, to flatten it a smidge.
So they have been utterly reliable....
I bought spare reeds right off the bat to have them handy for routine swap out, like I do for GHB, and they still sit in the original box almost 10 years later...
They have been very kind to me....
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmunmousavi View Post
Hello everyone,

This might be a dumb question, but what makes smallpipe/folk pipe drone reeds different from GHB reeds?

There are no stupid questions, apart from the one you didn't ask.

Basically, a reed must be matched in size to the drone it operates. The further you get from this, the less well it works. Try putting tenor/bass reeds in the wrong drone and notice how they produce weird effects and don't reliably produce a single, steady note.

>They have been very kind to me....

Yes, I got a very early set of Ezeedrone smallpipe reeds circa 2001/2 and they lasted me up until last year, when the tongues had finally worn to the point of being unreliable.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote