Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-01-2001, 06:35 PM   #1
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Default Speaking of memorable band performances

Greetings,

That thread reminded me of a video that I captured.. in 1991 .. of one of my favourite all time band performances: Toronto and District - their (Grade 1) Medley from Santa Rosa California..

The highlight for me, and nearly all (I think) of the crowd was Bass Drummer Jimmy Stewart - he was so into the music, it is still so memorable, the crowd reaction, the music.. and .. well, I was inspired, so I dug out the old video, converted it to a WMV, extracted the last two minutes of the performance, and ... Since I do have the bandwidth right now on this server.. I'll share.. ... a trip down memory lane for many of us ..

2:00 minutes, 3.3MB.. (going for higher quality video and audio)

Toronto & District - final 2 medley minutes.. 1991 santa rosa
(right click.. save as .. works pretty well if needed)

What do you think?

Bob

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: Bob ]
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-01-2001, 06:41 PM   #2
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Default Re: Speaking of memorable band performances

BTW - they finished second to City of Victoria that day. I think the judges were not as impressed as the crowd.

Bob

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: Bob ]
Old 12-01-2001, 09:28 PM   #3
Wee James Stewart
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Bob..
I played with T&D that year in Santa Rosa. Actually joined the band in the fall of '89 at age 16 by the encouragement of my "Instructor in Life", Barry Ewen. What the video didn't show was the actual size and the electricity of the crowd that day. I remember the band playing last that day after Triumph Street and City of Victoria. All the bands played well and the one thing that sticks in my mind the most was that after the band played, John Elliot was trying to tell us all what tune to play off the field,I think it was "The Gathering" by Ross Griffiths, but noone could hear him over the applause from the crowd. Finally he had to walk around the circle yelling out the name of the tune in everyone's ear! It was pretty exciting for a 16yr old kid!
Cheers,
Wee James
Old 12-01-2001, 11:41 PM   #4
Mitch Man
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob:
BTW - they finished second to City of Victoria that day. I think the judges were not as impressed as the crowd.
As they use to say,"and now the Jimmy Stewart Show
featuring the Toronto and District Caledonia PB!"

Jimmy was one hell of a showman and bass drummer!

Maybe pipeband performances are too stiff?

JM
Old 12-02-2001, 05:45 AM   #5
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Quote:
Originally posted by Wee James Stewart:
... What the video didn't show was the actual size and the electricity of the crowd that day. ....
It was pretty exciting for a 16yr old kid!
Cheers,
Wee James
Howdy Wee James,

It is indeed true - the crowd reaction is one of the reasons that performance stands out so much in my mind.. Santa Rosa was fairly (I mean, if there was room, the crowd would have doubled in size) intimate (only becaue we couldn't get on top of the barns).. and I don't ever recall a feeling / and a noise from the crowd, that was quite the same... It was truly electric... and the volume of the crowd does not show up either (typical of recordings.. there is a max. recording volume level)..

It was exciting for me too (and I passed 16 a long time beofre 91..) to feel that crowd 'vibe' (for lack of a better word).

How cool.. small world of piping and all that.. that you were a part of that circle, and we are both here now to 'chat'..

Bob
Old 12-02-2001, 02:45 PM   #6
ottopiper

Wow Bob, thanks for the clip!

That really brings back memories. I remember seeing the same performance (complete with finale hop-muffle) on my first pilgrimage to Maxville as an impressionable 12 year old. The combination of Jimmy's dancing and John Elliot's innovative medleys made T&D my perennial favorite. I still look forward to seeing Jimmy play with Celtic Flair and can't wait to see what John will do with Peel next year.

The recent explosion of live contest recordings available on the net has been great, I just can't get enough. Is anyone else out there willing or able to share some of their personal libraries of contest recordings (video or audio) online?

Jared
~~~~~~
Bethlehem, PA (for now)
Old 12-03-2001, 10:46 AM   #7
Joe Foley

That really does bring back memories Bob! I will have to disagree that they were beat by City of Vic that day. I am pretty sure they won both the Medley and MSR...?? I can tell you that weekend had a profound effect on the what we were doing at the time with the LA Scots. We got John E. to agree to a clinic the following February. At the time, the band was a floundering Grd 2 band. With John's help, and laterally Richard Parkes' help, it really changed things in So. Cal.

On the subject of sharing videos, I have mailed copies of select band performances from Costa Mesa and Pleasanton in 2001 to Tim Heck who runs www.rightquickmarch.com.

These performances include Medley and MSR selections in Costa Mesa from Prince Charles and LA Scots in Grade 1 and the LA Police in Grade 2. The Pleasanton clips include the same bands mentioned above with the addition of the Alberta Caledonia Medley and the New Zeland Police Medley.

I hope that nobody has a problem with me sending these to Tim. The recordings are tremendously clear and well balanced.

Cheers,

Joe
Old 12-03-2001, 11:25 AM   #8
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Foley:
That really does bring back memories Bob! I will have to disagree that they were beat by City of Vic that day. I am pretty sure they won both the Medley and MSR...??

Actually Joe, I didn't really recall the results from the day.. But I did video the massed bands, and the results announcement.. So I kind of cheated, not a memory test at all.. I have the announcement on video.. (But talk about a waste of bandwidth)

Having lived in California (for 29 years!), and watched the LA Scots grow and thrive through the 90s.. That was exciting from the outside too..

I look forward to seeing your video selections.. I too wonder about this sharing of performances... I am sure we'll hear.. if there are problems...

Cheers,
Bob
Old 12-18-2001, 11:11 PM   #9
Hugh Elder
Forum Member

Bob,

Thats a great Video clip, that was one of the most memorable performances from big Jim Stewart that I think anyone would remember....
Old 12-18-2001, 11:17 PM   #10
Hugh Elder
Forum Member

Joe, aka FA

When is that going to be available on RightQuickMarch?