Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
peterwelch
Forum Regular

Default restrictive drone valves

I purchased some of Mr. Hylands drone valves a few months ago to try out. I put them in my pipes for about 2 days and removed them as they made it incredibly hard to blow. As I was looking at them again this past weekend, I noticed that the opening inside seemed extremely small (about 1/8"). I figured what the heck I'm not using them the way they are anyway, so I carefully drilled out the hole in small increments to 1/4". Tried them again, had to re-adjust the tension, and 'viola'!! Like Buttah!!
They are functioning as originally expected; starts and stops are clean with more pressure available.
Just be careful not to drill too far in as the adjustment rod could become damaged.
If you have some and love to hate them, maybe this will work for you too!
peterwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: restrictive drone valves

Does this brand of drone valve stick up into the underside of the stocks? If so, how have you found them to change the drone sound? Most drone valves I've tried in the past really cut down on the drone volume and tone.

Shawn

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
Miniracer
Forum Silver Medal

The Hylands Inline drone valves are designed to fit between the Ross box and the drone hoses and the strength of the valve is adjusted with an allen wrench. I use them and I don't think the drone volume and tone suffers.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Bob Boyd
Forum Silver Medal

A couple of us in Atlanta have taken out the Hylands and found a larger sound from our drones. That has be noted also by the pipe sergeant while tuning us.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
ottopiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

There doesn't seem to be any logical reason why the hole in these valves is so small (approx. 3/16") relative to the Ross tube and a regular drone bore. I'm surprised people are able to play them without having significant problems getting enough air to their drones. Although, maybe Peter and I play bigger bagpipes than anyone else...

I bored mine out but they still offer too much restriction to be of much use to me.

Jared
ottopiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
thebluebeetroot
Forum Regular

Hey,

I play the Hylands valves, haven't and any problems with getting air to the reeds. I play Crozier cane and glass fibre. The valves do dull the drone sound slightly but nothing to worry about. maybe check you reed set up.

TBB.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
Brian Erbe
Holy smoking keyboard!

A good portion of my band plays the Hyland valves with no problem. I personally prefer the Ash plugs as far as ability to cut off air flow and the hole is about three times larger so it should be less restrictive. Even still, I haven't found the Hylands to be restrctive. I even took them out for about 2 weeks to make sure I hadn't forgotten how to strike-in and cut-off a bag with out valves and haven't noticed much of a difference.
Brian Erbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Scratcher
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopiper
There doesn't seem to be any logical reason why the hole in these valves is so small (approx. 3/16") relative to the Ross tube and a regular drone bore. I'm surprised people are able to play them without having significant problems getting enough air to their drones.
The whole point is to restrict airflow so they're easier to blow. If you do that to the drones, but not the chanter then you can play a stronger chanter reed without having to open the drones up to compensate. When you balance the drone reeds they'll take the minimum of air.
Scratch
Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher

The whole point is to restrict airflow so they're easier to blow. Scratch
Can you please expand further. I've never understood these valve things. Then again, I've never had any trouble with attacks and cutoffs. Something about balancing the sound? I've always just adjusted the drone reeds to suit my chanter, re: balance and tone.

I wonder ... are these things a way of acheiving good balance, and solid attacks/cutoffs, without having to learn the technique? If so, I personally don't care for the idea.

Cheers,
Scot
Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 AM   #10
Scratcher
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kortegaard
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scratcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The whole point is to restrict airflow so they're easier to blow. Scratch
Can you please expand further. I've never understood these valve things. Then again, I've never had any trouble with attacks and cutoffs. Something about balancing the sound? I've always just adjusted the drone reeds to suit my chanter, re: balance and tone.

I wonder ... are these things a way of acheiving good balance, and solid attacks/cutoffs, without having to learn the technique? If so, I personally don't care for the idea.

Cheers,
Scot </div></div>

Two different issues
1. Restricted airflow (drying canisters have the same effect)
2. Valves
I was talking about airflow.
Balancing the drones is something that you do to check that all three take the same (minimum) amount of air. It also helps with strike in/cutoff. Get your teacher to show you.
Cheers
Scratch
Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote