Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Default Morrill Bagpipes?

I'm wondering if anyone has experiences with the instruments produced by Morrill Bagpipes. I'm interested in ordering a set of drones from him, but it does not seem that anyone has posted a review of his instruments anywhere (he's also a one-man show, so not a whole lot of instruments out there).

Here's the link to the Facebook page for his operation:
https://www.facebook.com/Morrillpipes/
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Morrill Bagpipes?

Greetings, MichiganGaidar,

Welcome to the Forum... and thank you for this inquiry.

Having now viewed the main photos of his highland pipes...
while they certainly are not usual... I find them... handsome.

As he seems to be based in Utah... perhaps some out in
that western area can tell us of them...

Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Pip01

Old 01-11-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

This video of a set of Morrill's being played by the maker recently showed up. The tune was written in honour of the owner of the 1909 Hendersons that Morrill pipes are modelled after. It's a nice tune and the pipes sound great!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPark View Post
It's a nice tune and the pipes sound great!

Indeed!! They do!!

Handsome appearance!!... Handsome sound !!

Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

I got to listen and play a set at the WUSPBA AGM. Great looking with a lot of the natural wood grain patterns on display. They sounded great. I think each set is custom.
Nathaniel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPark View Post
This video of a set of Morrill's being played by the maker recently showed up. The tune was written in honour of the owner of the 1909 Hendersons that Morrill pipes are modelled after. It's a nice tune and the pipes sound great!
I was about to link to the same video. I've asked them if they'd share the sheet music in addition to whether all their pipes are based on this set of 1909 Hendersons. We'll see...
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

I had seen and heard the videos, but it's hard to evaluate pipes by recordings. I spoke with the man behind the pipes... It would seem that all sets are internally based on 1909 Hendersons. I might very well commission a set once I can locate a buyer for my Naills.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
John Miner
Forum Silver Medal

I've known Ross Morrill for many years and have played with him in pipes bands for over 15 years. He is currently the pipe major of the grade 2 Wasatch & District Pipe Band and has been the primary sound guy for many years. He grew up in a piping family and his dad was pipe major so he spent countless hours fiddling with an endless supply of reeds and pipes. He has a very keen ear for bagpipe sound. He is also a former grade 1 band player. I can tell you that these pipes are the real deal. He played the first set he made for the entire grade 2 band season last year and had many compliments on the sound. The first time he struck them up at band practice I was blown away. I knew the set he modeled them after was an amazing set of Hendersons, but I didn't expect his first prototype to sound so good, but they were amazing. Since then, I know several band mates have purchased a set. So far, I think each set has been unique in terms of mount shapes and wood choices, but the sound has been very consistent. He's experimenting with many different types of wood for both the sticks and the mounts. I don't think he's currently using African Blackwood because of the difficulty obtaining it. He also makes very nice practice chanters from some very interesting and beautiful wood combinations. I have one and it's very nice. He's also making small pipes which are quite nice, although I've only seen the videos of these. He's probably one of the most patient people I know and is very meticulous.

Last edited by John Miner; 01-11-2018 at 11:05 AM.
John Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
Andrew Lenz

FWIW, the Morrill Family are nice folks. Ross Morrill is making pipes. His dad, Andrew Morrill, is the former president of WUSPBA. Both are involved with Wasatch & District PB—Andrew was the long-time PM and I think Ross was PM for a time as well, though I believe he's the Pipe Sergeant now. Ross played with Triumph Street PB for a couple of years about a decade ago.

Andew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
John Miner
Forum Silver Medal

Ross was Pipe Major from 2010-2014, Justin Howland was Pipe Major from 2014-2017, but recently moved out of state and Ross will take the role again in 2018. Interestingly, Andrew was Pipe Major of the grade 4 band for the last couple seasons and they were upgraded to grade 3 this off-season. A new grade 4 band was formed and now the organization has a band in grades 5, 4, 3, and 2!

John Miner is offline   Reply With Quote