Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Piob High G/A vs High G/A in Piobaireachd competition

So Iím struggling to find a definitive answer in this.

Since thereís no written indication, is it assumption? Personal choice?

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
RJB
Forum Member

Default Re: Piob High G/A vs High G/A in Piobaireachd competition

I'm no expert by any means, but.......

In Piobaireachd, I play HA with the middle finger, high hand. I play both ways in light music, depending on the tune. Sometimes, the middle fingered HA fits better, and makes the tune easier for me to play. HG's - two fingered in piobaireachd, one in light music. Always.

I'm not sure if there are rules or not, and since I was never very good at following rules, I really don't care. In 20+ years of playing in bands, nobody's said anything, so I guess it doesn't matter.
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Just my preference; two finger hiG and lift the thumb for hiA in pibroch. That's how I tune and balance for the soulful sound on an old Hardie.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Oibroch high G is expected. Early chanters tunes better with. You may tell the judge you will not play it, if you choose.

thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoidboy View Post
Oibroch high G is expected. Early chanters tunes better with. You may tell the judge you will not play it, if you choose.

Luckily for me thereís no High G in my selected piece. But High As there are a few

Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
BGP
Forum Regular

Piob HighA is up to personal preference (you shouldn't be penalized either for using or not). Piob HighG is expected for Piob.
BGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here's what is weird about all this piobaireachd high G stuff.

I noted in a post sometime ago that on Hugh MacCallum's WGP album, he plays the Lament for Mary MacLeod with a high G that comes in at the alternate just intonation tuning of -4 cents flat of equal temperament tuning whereas all of his light music has his high G tuned to the "standard" -32 cents flat of ET tuning. I've got an example of Donald MacPherson tuning his piob high G to the other alternate just intonation of 17 cents sharp of ET. Here they are: Donald, Hugh, and then Alasdair Gillies playing his piob high G at the -32 cents flat "standard". The thuds in the middle one of Hugh is the looping of the rather short snippet.

http://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordp...2/04/highg.wav

What strikes me is odd about these *sharper* piob high Gs of old is that with most chanters, the "piobaireachd" fingering of high G with the middle finger down is *flatter* (not sharper) than normal high G fingering. I've actually considered just switching to permanent piob high G to deal with sharp high G issues here in the semi-arid desert.

So, that doesn't really make any sense; a flatter fingering style to achieve a sharper note certainly indicates "moving the tape" between light music and boring, I mean, heavy music.

I understand modern piob high G is tuned the same as in light music, -32 cents flat, as evidenced by Alasdair's bit above. So what gives? Why bother with the alternate fingering if the tuning is the now accepted to be the same? Why was there ever an alternate fingering since it moves the tuning (flatter) in the opposite direction than it seems many were trying to achieve (sharper). The timbre is different from normal high G, but compared to what and what frame of reference will the judge have? You're not going to play a march beforehand, and with the tuning differences of having the middle finger down, you'd need to move the tape for it to be in tune anyway.

So, frankly, I don't see the point of piob high G fingering unless there is some advantage with regard to technique.

Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

I've found the change in tuning between little music high G and piob. high G to be pretty variable. Sometimes sharper, sometimes flatter, sometimes the same. Piob. high G can also be pretty squirrely and hard to control. I always tape it to the same tuning I use for little music but I'm never sure which way it'll go from reed to reed, chanter to chanter, and weather conditions to weather conditions. I do like the timbre when it's all working well.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
So, frankly, I don't see the point of piob high G fingering unless there is some advantage with regard to technique.

Apparently, piob fingering is better for somethings, I would assume that extends to things like Crunluaths to reduce crossing noises. That I do know.

Iím just hesitant to embrace piob High A in my tune if itís not expected of me. Iíve never competed in piob, and have just recently managed to learn on my own.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #10
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Terry Lee plays a Piob high A all the time.

Honestly, if you inform the judges before hand because youíre worried about what they might think, only petty ones will give you grief for it. And there is always another competition and another judge somewhere else.

We should be concentrating on simply being musical. How you achieve that musicality honestly shouldnít matter.

Iíve never seen a violinist marked down because of bow grip. Iíve only seen them marked down for poor bowling.

thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote