Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
EHamitlon
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Standard or long chanter?

Which one should a beginner learn on? Is standard the "standard" size that most bagpipes have?
EHamitlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Standard or long chanter?

The only difference *should* be that a long chanter has tone holes (that you don’t cover with fingers) where the short chanter ends. So a short chanter would stop sounding on the bottom note if you accidentally covered the bottom of the chanter.

Get the short if you want to rest the chanter on a table while you practice, get a long if you want to rest it on your leg.

Any maker who doesn’t make either short or long, regular chanters with appropriate spacing should be flogged.

I love the long Naill with a Walsh reed.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

a standard chanter is likely to readily ‘fit in’ sound-wise with the crowd around the practice table who will mostly all be playing standard chanters....unless, in the event, others are all playing long chanters.
Long chanters over mellow tone seem to not (usually) readily mesh with the brighter tone of standard length chanters...and vice-versa.

With a standard chanter you would,literally,be sitting comfortably closer to the music you are reading,...resting the chanter end and forearms or elbows on the table as done for generations before.

If you get any chanter...do your best to get one with a wood bottom...most makers these days supply a poly top as a guard against wood splitting due to too much moisture /under-seasoned wood.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

You sure the “brightness” isn’t just the reverb coming off the hard table?

I used to put a book under my long chanter when I wanted more volume.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Most practice chanters, short/standard/long, have spacing very near or the same as a pipe chanter (at least nowadays). However, some things to consider is that you will likely want a chanter that has counter-sunk holes which don't affect tone but makes it feel much more like a real pipe chanter.

The only major considerations with long vs. standard are that a standard chanter can be stopped if you cover the bore at the bottom where a long chanter can't be stopped by the inadvertent pant leg clogging the exit for the air. Otherwise, standard chanters are a bit more portable.

Jack
Old 04-15-2019, 04:14 AM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

This is a topic that everyone has an opinion on, like painting the bike-shed.

It *really* doesn't matter. A short chanter was good enough for Calum Piobaire and it's good enough for you.

As for pitch, that's mostly driven by the reed.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Taking up the point about resting on the table.... in our band we’re often exhorted to do that, as pictured many times with Army pipers around the practice table.

My ex-Black Watch P/M teacher would use his ruler on my knuckles if I did that, saying that the full pipe chanter is free to move around and you need to learn to play in that condition, not resting on the table. It comes really hard to unlearn that lesson after so many years and given age-diminished eyesight makes reading the music harder too!

The advent of long chanters (not around when I started 50+ years ago, as far as I know) makes resting on the table much harder, as noted. The downside around a band table is that the sound to the Pipey’s ear is somewhat muffled if hidden below the table’s edge.

Playing 1:1 with my teacher we had the music on the table but sat side-on to it, facing each other, on the basis that he wanted to clearly see my fingers and by the time I was playing to him the music should have been an aid only, as I was supposed to have the outline in my head from my solo practice time between lessons... when it matters not whether it’s long, short or on your knee...

Personally I prefer the more gentle tone of my new long blackwood Hardie, which I’d recommend to anyone over the ancient short Hardie I’ve had for decades, and the wider hole spacing means less readjustment from pc to pipes... not that that’s hard, but every little similarity helps.
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Taking up the point about resting on the table.... in our band we’re often exhorted to do that, as pictured many times with Army pipers around the practice table.

My ex-Black Watch P/M teacher would use his ruler on my knuckles if I did that, saying that the full pipe chanter is free to move around and you need to learn to play in that condition, not resting on the table. It comes really hard to unlearn that lesson after so many years and given age-diminished eyesight makes reading the music harder too!

The advent of long chanters (not around when I started 50+ years ago, as far as I know) makes resting on the table much harder, as noted. The downside around a band table is that the sound to the Pipey’s ear is somewhat muffled if hidden below the table’s edge.

Playing 1:1 with my teacher we had the music on the table but sat side-on to it, facing each other, on the basis that he wanted to clearly see my fingers and by the time I was playing to him the music should have been an aid only, as I was supposed to have the outline in my head from my solo practice time between lessons... when it matters not whether it’s long, short or on your knee...

Personally I prefer the more gentle tone of my new long blackwood Hardie, which I’d recommend to anyone over the ancient short Hardie I’ve had for decades, and the wider hole spacing means less readjustment from pc to pipes... not that that’s hard, but every little similarity helps.
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #9
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

It makes no odds, you can play either on the table or on your knee.

From age 10 I played a long PC, and only recently I acquired a standard PC which breaks down into 4 parts for traveling.

When I travel I use the breakdown standard, and when I'm home I prefer the long PC.

Its all preference at the end of the day, borrow / have a shot of a friends and decide
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

It *really* doesn't matter. A short chanter was good enough for Calum Piobaire and it's good enough for you.
This. It really does not matter. Play whatever you're comfortable with, and whatever sounds the best. Just practice.

Real bagpipe chanters come in a variety of hole sizes and spacings, and part of being a competent player is being able to adjust.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote