Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Default Ezeedrone Bass, strike in issue.

Hi, I'm currently trying to get a set of Ezeedrone drone reeds back into action. Tenors are going good, but having strike in problems with the Bass. Only if I strike the bag in a certain position does it strike in properly. Should I lengthen / shorten the tongue? is so which? Any other ideas please?
Gruffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Ezeedrone Bass, strike in issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post

Should I lengthen / shorten the tongue?

Any other ideas please?

Yes. ...probably lengthen...a split fly hair. Also Ensure the bridle is absolutely concentric around the reed body. FWIW....of the several EZ sets I use generally all have the leading edge of the tenor bridle at ca 1/16” distant from the rear edge of the air hole under the tongue. YRMV...very slightly.
Closer to the air hole will make the reed more efficient..but risk shutting off....trial and error in split nanohairs movement. Give the ( individual) reeds a several tunes warm up before moving the bridle again. All the aforementioned presume you are targeting to have the tenors tune ideally...at or up to ca 1/8” above the hempline.

Lower then hempline ( sharp) could cause squeals...so judicious seated depth and pitch screw position may ( will) impact the desired tuning position.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Yes. ...probably lengthen...a split fly hair. Also Ensure the bridle is absolutely concentric around the reed body. FWIW....of the several EZ sets I use generally all have the leading edge of the tenor bridle at ca 1/16” distant from the rear edge of the air hole under the tongue. YRMV...very slightly.
Closer to the air hole will make the reed more efficient..but risk shutting off....trial and error in split nanohairs movement. Give the ( individual) reeds a several tunes warm up before moving the bridle again. All the aforementioned presume you are targeting to have the tenors tune ideally...at or up to ca 1/8” above the hempline.

Lower then hempline ( sharp) could cause squeals...so judicious seated depth and pitch screw position may ( will) impact the desired tuning position.
Thanks for your prompt reply.. So Sorry, long day, completely wiped out. FWIW and YRMV meaning pls?
Gruffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

For What It's Worth. Your Results/reality May Vary.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
Freeman
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I had the exact same problem with an ezeedrone bass in a Gillander set of pipes.

Every time I struck-in the bass howled - even when I put them in the hands of an accomplished piper.

I fiddled with the bridle for an afternoon to no avail. What solved the howl was a plugging a drone valve under the bass drone - not a single issue after that.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I

I fiddled with the bridle for an afternoon to no avail. What solved the howl was a plugging a drone valve under the bass drone - not a single issue after that.
👍. I’ve found a wine bottle cork ( I suppose a syn one would also do) with a fat 1/8” hole drilled thru it works as an effective ‘valve’.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Same issue with them in a McCallum poly set...howling and a real bear to strike in..not a fan of these...avoid.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

You may consider a different brand of bass drone reed. AFAIK, many reputable pipers use Ezee tenor reeds, but very few use their bass reeds.

Charlie
Old 10-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post

Same issue with them in a McCallum poly set...howling and a real bear to strike in..not a fan of these...avoid.
Hmmm, I play(ed) EZ’s in my own poly McCallum set..no issues. Then I set up a set of MG White Mamba reeds....and found a bigger presence with them...so I left the Mamba’s in place.
As an aside..I did find that standard length EZ’s did tune too high up with a MK2 McCallum chanter at 475. So I switched to the long version EZ reeds to bring them down a bit. That worked. No strike-in issues with either length EZ reeds. I believe the seated depth ...1/4” out ...helped make for no problem.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I have a long inverted Ezeedrone bass that's worked really well for me. I have owned and tried regular Ezeedrone bass reeds but they were problematic like others have noticed. The inverted is smoother and easier to work with I find. Ezeedrone tenors are fine, they're like Toyota vehicles. Boring but reliable. In my set of pipes they sound a bit nasally and singular for lack of better descriptors. Great reeds though.