Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-26-2019, 04:58 AM   #51
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Your 2019 setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
I once had a new PM have me reset my drone reeds so they shut off when I over blew. I then stepped outside and they stopped playing, so I put them back where they would play with the PM none the wiser.

I swear the weird voodoo that some pipers go through is just unnecessary.
Busted!
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #52
Chris Hamilton

I set my drone reeds so they will not shut off except with extreme over-pressure. They will never be fully stable and reliable if they're set to stop at slight over-pressure.

I don't have them set way open, mind you. Sometimes at band practice or a contest, I'll be tuning drones or chanters, and the P/M will detail an already-cut player to blow my pipes while I work. Invariably they come back astonished at how efficient my setup is.

"It's like blowing a practice chanter!" was a recent comment. They're not really *that* easy, but every bit of air that goes into the bag does something useful. Tight hemping, tight wrapping, no rocking or wobbling pieces, perfectly set drone reeds, and a vibrant medium chanter reed. And the volume!

Give your drone reeds a little extra room to handle climatic changes, nervous blowing, and so forth, and they won't let you down.

Chris
Old 07-27-2019, 06:12 AM   #53
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hamilton View Post
I set my drone reeds so they will not shut off except with extreme over-pressure. They will never be fully stable and reliable if they're set to stop at slight over-pressure.

I don't have them set way open, mind you. Sometimes at band practice or a contest, I'll be tuning drones or chanters, and the P/M will detail an already-cut player to blow my pipes while I work. Invariably they come back astonished at how efficient my setup is.

"It's like blowing a practice chanter!" was a recent comment. They're not really *that* easy, but every bit of air that goes into the bag does something useful. Tight hemping, tight wrapping, no rocking or wobbling pieces, perfectly set drone reeds, and a vibrant medium chanter reed. And the volume!

Give your drone reeds a little extra room to handle climatic changes, nervous blowing, and so forth, and they won't let you down.

Chris
Interesting! For a while now I’ve been dialing my drone reeds to where they shut off at about 6-8” of h2o past where the chanter reed plays (which I’d read was best practice). But maybe 2 months ago, I tweaked the bass drone reed to shut off a lot higher so that I could get the bass drone to tune where I want relative to the tuning pin heights. I noticed no difference in terms of air usage. Even though my tenors are nicely steady, maybe I’ll try making them a little less sensitive to shutoffs again and see how that goes.

Last edited by Doug Walton; 07-27-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #54
Chris Hamilton

Also, the firm seating of the chanter reed and drone reeds in their respective seats is crucial. I often find wobbly reeds when checking other people's pipes.

That's a sure recipe to tuning issues and tonal stability.

Chris
Old 07-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #55
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Over my decade of piping, I have noticed something significant about drone reed strength.

There seems to be a strength zone in which drone reeds are at their least susceptible to variations in blowing:

Close to shut-off, they become more susceptible to changing pitch with pressure variations, but as you make the tongue longer, they also become more susceptible to blowing variations.

So for me, I like to have some wiggle room in blowing strength. I want them strong enough that they do not shut-off due to nerves, etc. BUT, I want them easy enough to play comfortably through a couple of piobaireachds including tuning time. This tends to sit in my drone reeds’ sweet spot with regards to steadiness.

A couple of week’s ago a solo judge said that my drone sound and chanter mix was “beautiful”

Charlie
Old 07-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #56
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Over my decade of piping, I have noticed something significant about drone reed strength.

There seems to be a strength zone in which drone reeds are at their least susceptible to variations in blowing:

Close to shut-off, they become more susceptible to changing pitch with pressure variations, but as you make the tongue longer, they also become more susceptible to blowing variations.

So for me, I like to have some wiggle room in blowing strength. I want them strong enough that they do not shut-off due to nerves, etc. BUT, I want them easy enough to play comfortably through a couple of piobaireachds including tuning time. This tends to sit in my drone reeds’ sweet spot with regards to steadiness.

A couple of week’s ago a solo judge said that my drone sound and chanter mix was “beautiful”

Charlie
FWIW, I generally get about 8" of h2o tuning accuracy range with my Kron Heritage drones when using EZ's in the tenors and a Kinnaird Evo bass. In that range, the drones stay spot-on to the target tuning. That seems pretty good to me - more than I need.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #57
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hamilton View Post
Chris

Chris! Whaur ye bin, min?!
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #58
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Chris! Whaur ye bin, min?!
My first thought as well.

Nice to see some of the Dunsire establishment returning. Used to see Colin MacLellan, Wulls, Shawn Husk, Adam Sanderson etc and many more, often here.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #59
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Walton View Post
Interesting! For a while now I’ve been dialing my drone reeds to where they shut off at about 6-8” of h2o past where the chanter reed plays (which I’d read was best practice). But maybe 2 months ago, I tweaked the bass drone reed to shut off a lot higher so that I could get the bass drone to tune where I want relative to the tuning pin heights.
The argument that a drone should shut off when you overblow is hogwash, because how do you define overblow. I use a water manometer to get the drone reeds within the same zip code as the chanter reed. However, the number I start with is usually drone reed shuts off 12-15'' of h20 past chanter reed's ideal pressure. This has worked for me, including in all of the open contests I play in. Try going this high, and you might have good luck.

Some aspects of this number depend on the physics of the drone itself, so be a little flexible, and don't consider this number a magic benchmark. This is just a really helpful starting point when setting a drone reed's strength.

I have always hated the whole 'shut off just when you overblow' because that only teaches pipers to underblow and then achieves bad tone (unsteady and unappealing). Once you've learned to blow, drastic changes in the strength of pipes you play are very difficult to make happen. It has to be done slowly and carefully. I've had people 'help' me over the years by 'adjusting' my pipes this way, and it has never worked. I like knowing that I can lean into my set and nothing will shut off (which is usually an immediate loss in any competition above grade 3).

Jack
Old 07-30-2019, 05:39 AM   #60
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

With whichever chanter reed I target to lean into the reed ( hard bag) and appreciate to play the difference between its underblown and overblown “ sweetspots”. Generally a ~30” h2o reed.
Drones shutoff is calibrated to ~< 4” above the chanter for a trained relative imperceptible arm jolt shutoff.
Collectively among my pipes all’s well with the most economical effort.
I’ve seen here ‘like a practice chanter’ noted...I like that assessment....with the GHB roar.

Interesting how varied styles indeed work among us.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote