Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
scotchboiler
Forum Gold Medal

Default Do any recordings of G.S. McLennan exist?

I was wondering if any recordings of him are still extant. Were any ever known to have been made, for that matter? Presumably, they would be on wax cylinders, or 78's.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Kristopher Watt
Forum Member

Default Re: Do any recordings of G.S. McLennan exist?

Scotchboiler,

According to the book "Pipers", by William Donaldson....

"G.S. McLennan never made recordings, and he did not broadcast. He lived in an age before television and media hype."

It is a very worth while read.

Regards,

Kris

Kristopher Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Jim McGillivray

G.S.'s half brother, D. R. MacLennan, claimed their were some recordings made in the early 1900s. He even knew where they were supposed to be -- perhaps a library in Edinburgh if I recall correctly -- but the recordings were never found there and have never surfaced.
JM
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Andrew Lenz

If it's like my house, his wife probably stuck them in box labeled "bagpipe stuff" and hid them in the garage never to be seen again . . . it took me 8 years to find my grandfather's glengarry . . .

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

Jim is correct. In the book just out from the Cop, I think the title is Masters of Piping, started by Seamus MacNeil and recently completed by Jeannie Campbell. DR MacLennan said that there were indeed some recordings that were made of GS. It seems they were given to someone for safekeeping during WWII and afterwards they disappeared.
They would certainly be a treasure trove if they were to resurface after all of these years.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Kristopher Watt
Forum Member

I stand corrected.
Kristopher Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
IdahoPiper
Forum Gold Medal

Knowing my luck, there were some in the boxes of friend's Grandfather's old bagpipe music collection, which are in a landfill now . . . . see message #492864. Sorry, but the thought of the conversation is still giving me a facial tick.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Andrew Lenz

Here's a link to IdahoPiper's post.

My response to that story: "Ouch" or "Better to not have known and lost . . ."

It's the cylinder part that kills me! Likely archive material there. Damn.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
IdahoPiper
Forum Gold Medal

Either the College of Piping's Museum or the National Piping Centre and Museum would have gotten a nice donation from the "Wild West" in America . . . such is life. I am going to send an email to my friend today because I forgot to ask "Did anyone in your family keep anything that was bagpipe related?" I know that they kept their clan stuff (they are Stewarts), so there might have been something of bagpipe historical interest mixed in with it. Here's to hoping . . . .
Old 10-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

I just found the copy of the PT that talks of the recordings of GS.
According to his brother DR. He says they were made in 1894 or 95 when GS was a lad of eleven.

DR got them from another brother John who owned a pub in Edinburgh. DR at the time the PM of the Seaforths, was able to get a machine to let his band hear the recordings. This was in 1938 and DR was being sent abroad with the regiment. He returned them to the brother John for safe keeping, but then the war intervened. It was ten years later that George Stoddart told DR that the recordings had been found in a cubby hole in the basement of the pub where they were put for safe keeping during the war.
DR collected them and put them in the Museum in Chambers St. Edinburgh. But they have since disappeared from there, as is mentioned in the article after DR's letter that a recent search of the museum have not turned up the recordings, according to Hugh Cheape.
It is interesting to note that DR says in his letter that he said the he himself a full fledged PM of a regiment couldn't have surpassed the playing of an eleven year old on these recordings.
This last statement by DR seems to say it all about GS's playing.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote