Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
FFDaveNY
Forum Regular

Default Solo Competition Breakdown

Anyone have any solo competition breakdown stories? Wondering how you felt afterwards as so much effort is needed.
Last year a piper who was to compete right before me had to take her drones & bag apart looking to correct some issue. Felt bad for her when a short while later as she was walking away without having been able to compete.
Myself= had one last month doing a solo - a twig caught in my heel stepping off after a turn !/2way through my tune causing me to trip, my fingers fumbling on my chanter while catching my balance-uggghh!! Got back to my tune and the judge still made remarks on the score sheet, corrective as well as positive, but seeing "Breakdown" circled in the middle of it was awful to say the least.
Couldn't call it a season, so I signed up for one last competition getting a nice surprise with the results.
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Competition Breakdown

If you finished the tune, it wouldn’t be a breakdown.

The only time I’ve broken down in competition was during a piobaireachd a few years ago. Got to the end of the second line of the urlar and just lost it and couldn’t remember how the line ended. The judge (Aaron Shaw) was disappointed, and said he was really enjoying it and I had some great F trills.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Years ago at the Chicago games, my events were in the order piobaireachd, march, strathspey & reel. Sailed through the piobaireachd. Got into the third part of the march and just couldn't keep the pressure up & stopped. Only got through the first line of the strathspey and had the same problem. Oh well, didn't worry about it. When I got home I found that over (a long) time, saliva had worn a small hole in the hide bag below the bottom of the blowpipe. That explained the breakdowns.

Paul Hinson
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

About 3 years ago, competing with Jack Lee as my judge, my throat suddenly went dry, and it was stop piping or barf. I stopped... Jack was kind enough to ask if I wanted to continue for comments, but I couldn't even talk, let alone pipe. So now I carry a water bottle with me no matter WHERE I play...

Then two years ago at a different competition, on the last two notes of my 2/4, got bit by a mosquito right between the eyes! Didn't break down, but completely lost it!
Old 09-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
piper01888
Forum Regular

Default Re: Solo Competition Breakdown

After not competing for more years than I care to think about, I decided
to give it a try. I competed twice that season and the first judge pointed out
an issue in the third part of the jig I played in a h/p jig contest.
I worked very hard to improve that section before the second go.
When I approached the judges table for my turn, it suddenly dawned on me
that this judge was a very famous p/m, whom, up till then, I had only seen on an album cover.
I got through the hornpipe quite well I thought and dove into the jig,
really thinking about that third part. I nailed it! I was so happy!
I was so happy that I completely forgot the fourth part. Stood there
racking my brain trying to remember it, knowing that to quit was a breakdown. It didn't come back to me til just after I cut off my pipes.
He wrote very nice comments on the sheet, but the bottom line was
"breakdown"
Cheers
piper01888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
celticmanone
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFDaveNY View Post
Anyone have any solo competition breakdown stories? Wondering how you felt afterwards as so much effort is needed.
Last year a piper who was to compete right before me had to take her drones & bag apart looking to correct some issue. Felt bad for her when a short while later as she was walking away without having been able to compete.
Myself= had one last month doing a solo - a twig caught in my heel stepping off after a turn !/2way through my tune causing me to trip, my fingers fumbling on my chanter while catching my balance-uggghh!! Got back to my tune and the judge still made remarks on the score sheet, corrective as well as positive, but seeing "Breakdown" circled in the middle of it was awful to say the least.
Couldn't call it a season, so I signed up for one last competition getting a nice surprise with the results.
As you know Dave, I was there for both events and it’s safe to say you went from having a bad trip to a good trip within 3 weeks. Great recovery!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

In a sloppily run contest the steward apparently wandered off as I started my 2/4 March....when I turned about at the end of the first part.a spectator was standing right on my heels as I turned ...I almost threw the pipes over my shoulder . “ ..I just wanted to ask you a question..”

The @@&## judge shrugged and gave me a bd ..wouldn’t let me restart.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
Kenton Adler
Holy smoking keyboard!

I agree with Jim. Going off the tune is not a Breakdown. Even if it was a big mistake, as long as you kept playing, and finished that should not have ben a BD.

Last time I competed was about a year and a half ago. We drove out to Prescott AZ. I was the last competitor of the day, playing Grade 2 Piobaireachd. The stewards had already gone over to the piping tent because it was DONE. I was in the last line of my Crunluath Doubling and I saw a group of people walking toward me. Then a woman broke away from the group and ran toward me, got within three feet of me, and stuck a camera in my face while yelling, "Can I take your picture? Can I take your picture?" I was so shocked, I just stopped playing, said, "NO!" and turned around and walked back to the judge's table. He had been making notes and hadn't seen what happened, and just asked why I had stopped. THAT's a Breakdown.

Long drive back to Arkansas.

For best results - PLAY LOUD
Kenton Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

I had a summer of breakdowns many years ago. Playing the circuit in Ontario, I couldn't buy my way through a contest. Sometimes I would break down early on in the tune and sometimes I would wait until the last few bars and then break down. Fortunately I got over it by the next season.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

I was competing at the Arlington TX Highland Games in the late 19890s, playing Captain Norman Orr Ewing in Grade IV March. I was going into the fourth measure, everything going well, when unnoticed by me, a Street Band formed up right next to the roped off competition area, only a few feet away from me, and struck in and started playing to entertain the crowd. I was so startled I made some note errors, but didn't break down. I was furious with the steward for allowing this to happen.

At this same HG, in the Grade II competition, an older woman walked up while a competitor was playing and started hollering at Jimmy MacGregor, who was judging, asking him for start times of various activities. Again, no steward in sight. Very poor organization.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote