Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Soda Shoppe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soda Shoppe For young pipers, drummers, and others not quite old enough for the beer tent.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
rangersfcpiper
Forum Member

Default Balmoral School

Going off the Invermark thread, what would a typical day at the Balmoral Piping School be like for an intermediate piper???

Thanks
rangersfcpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Balmoral School

You'll spend an hour in a class in the morning and another hour in a class in the afternoon. You can also sit in on other classes during the day, and they have maintenance and tuning seminars in the evening.
Iain Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
MacAngus
Forum Member

I haven't been for a couple of years due to being in the MARINES but I went for 2 weeks 4 years in a row and it was great. Wake up to the sound of pipes go to breakfast take a class practice, practice,go to lunch go to a class , practice ,practice then go to an evening class for everyone on pipe maintenance. Commence to having a great time for the rest of the night.Great people, Great instructors,Great Times had by most
Old 03-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Iain and MacAngus have it right, but I want to point out there is also a recital usually on Thursday and also, you will want to bring a recording device. I love the Balmoral Schools and the instruction is really exceptional as you can see by the list of pipers and drummers.

http://www.bagpiping.org/
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Mike
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MacAngus:
Great people, Great instructors, Great Times had by most
I really have to echo what Mr. 'Mac'Angus said. It was one of the most memorable piping experiences I had growing up. It certainly helped make me the player I am today. Excellent atmosphere for a beginner, intermediate or advanced player. Hope you attend..

Mike Mahoney
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
Mike Glackin
Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mike Glackin

Definitely try and go, mate. Especially since you're near Philly, as on of the sites is East Stroudsburg University. I can only strongly echo what Mike and MacAngus said. Balmoral (and specifically Alisdair and Scot Walker) taught me how to sight-read, among other things. And you make good friends. I still talk to guys and girls that I first met over 6 years ago. The whole thing is definitely an experience. Like Mike said, hope you attend.

Mike Glackin
Old 03-24-2007, 04:32 AM   #7
Hyperpiper1
Forum Silver Medal

Howdy, "Rangers"

Definitely worth the time and the $$$, pardner

Attended a couple of years ago, and can confirm all of what you've already read from "alumni".

The only reason that I've not been back is a scheduling / timing issue.

"Try it . . . you'll LIKE it!" really is true in this instance

Cheers ~

Hyperpiper 1
Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
ottopiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I've got to agree with the others on this rangerspiper. I went most summers while I was in my teens and made most of my best piping friendships there (including MacPiper and Mike).

I went to Invermark too but felt I learned more and had way more fun at Balmoral. IMHO, there was less favoritism and more individual attention at Balmoral, though things may have changed since I was there.

I'd suggest that no matter where you go look around now for scholarships. As a young piper they're easy to come by and you can probably get at least a week's tuition for free.

Cheers
ottopiper is offline   Reply With Quote