Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
PRAIRIEPIPER
Forum Member

Default Pipe Band Tuning

So,what do the majority of pipe bands do for tuning?
Some Pipe Majors set the tuning from his bagpipes while others set as per specific number (i.e. 480).
Scenario #1 - All pipers tune their pipes as to how they sound to their ears when playing at home, such as anywhere from 476 to 484, and then adjust to the setting of the PM at band practice. Individual notes may require more tuning than others.
Scenario #2 - PM tells everyone to tune to 482 at home and come prepared for slight adjustments. i.e. everyone sets at 482 and very slight adjustments at band practice. e.g I use the Braw bagpipe Tuner initially and then by ear to my drones. Setting usually 482.
What do most bands do? tune each practice to PM's pipes? or by set number at home and come to practice at that number?
Old 06-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pipe Band Tuning

Your pipes are set at band practice. Barring catastrophe, you then leave them alone, apart from fine adjustments using tape if necessary.

The rationale is that your home has slightly different climate conditions, so 482 at home => not 482 at band.

If you're given a specific number, that's still the number you have to turn up with, not the number you get in the kitchen.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
RJB
Forum Member

Spot on Calum.

That said, put another chanter in for practice at home, and cap your band chanter.

Prior to next band practice, put your band chanter in, tune drones, and show up early to fine tune.
RJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Good comments. If members were playing at home, tuning was pretty quick and east. As P/M, I would listen to whose pipes/chanter I felt was sounding best. I might be mine; it might not be. No matter; I'd have other tuning to his/hers. But to cut down on time, I'm get a trio or quintet tuned, then break them out to tune the others. It would be to ear, though we'd have someone checking on the chanter pitch and tuning drones; usually when playing in the circle.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Our band tunes to our pipe sergeant, and as our pipers are very experienced tuning time is very short. At home, I check my chanter periodically with my tuner to make sure I am matching band pitch. Other than a slight tweak of the chanter reed, I am usually dead on at band practice. That said, I've played with bands where pipers don't practice much and their bagpipes were wildly out of tune at practice (and gigs) and it took quite a while to get them into tune. Not good, you don't want to be that piper.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post

Not good, you don't want to be that piper.

Cheers -

Wes
What works is to ‘ask’ those ilk to sit out ..and straighten out their instrument...while the others get to play in the circle.

I send the offenders to another room with a tuner...’ and take your maintenance kit..”
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
What works is to ‘ask’ those ilk to sit out ..and straighten out their instrument...while the others get to play in the circle.

I send the offenders to another room with a tuner...’ and take your maintenance kit..”
Lol..that's if they bother to show up to practice before a band gig..there's also a lot of touchy types who take immense offense at being told to sit out anything these days...that's when they start looking for another band who most likely will welcome them with open arms and their unmaintained and rarely played instrument.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Lol..that's if they bother to show up to practice before a band gig..there's also a lot of touchy types who take immense offense at being told to sit out anything these days...that's when they start looking for another band who most likely will welcome them with open arms and their unmaintained and rarely played instrument.
Aye! And good riddance! We don't need them in the band, any more than those who show up the first time and expect to be outfitted that evening! I don't care how talented they are (though many are more the ilk described).
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
RJB
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post

Unfortunately, those in our band in need of adjusting their instrument with a tuner haven't the first idea of what to do with it. They've been taken aside by a human tuner for adjustments for so long, and never tended to it themselves, that at this point, it's pretty much a waste of time. So, the human tuner has to sit out too!

Those in need of instrument adjustment need to see someone in the band prior to practice so everyone's time isn't wasted.

And, they need to learn to do the adjustments themselves.
RJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #10
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

And, they need to learn to do the adjustments themselves.[/QUOTE]

That was my gripe in the lower amateur solo grades when I competed, competitors who always showed up with their instructor to tune them up in front of the judge. Not being able to tune your instrument yourself should not be rewarded in solo competition.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote