Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #21
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Default Re: First time jitters

The first couple hundred performances are the hardest...
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #22
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
The first couple hundred performances are the hardest...
HAH! So true. And by that time you
may have practiced a bit more ;-)

My 'first time', in Knoxville Tn, the tune
was (sort of?) George upon the Throne.

The backs of my hands quite literally
went numb! Some part of my CNS
was signaling: "Not ready yet!".

I've "heard" that one dram will settle
things down, as will Beta Blockers.
(The latter are used by some adult
actors, for serious stage fright.)

I was much too young at the time.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM   #23
OHpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: First time jitters (Again)

Well it happened, I was to play Amazing Grace last night at a dinner party with my wife. (about 200 in attendance) There after dinner a few people would sign up to sing or dance or play an instrument, the wife suggested I play my pipes so I agreed.() About a half hour before I started to feel really blah, and I was suppose to go to a room and tune up beforehand , that went well and I walked into the foyer to wait my turn the heat was turned up so high it felt like 100 degrees in there. My mouth immediately dried out I could hardly breathe, pulse went up and I thought oh boy here comes the big one..I went back to the room and tried the pipes again and for some reason the chanter reed sounded flat, I'm sure it was me it felt as if I could barely keep the the pressure up, so I went in and told the guy I'm bowing out. That being said, I choked up plain and simple ..
I appreciate all the ideas and responses, it seemed like all that went south last night .. Sorry for the rant but I feel like I failed..
Regards Bill
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM   #24
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Commiserations Bill, but please don't regard a one off glitch as anything more than just that.

It happened to me as a youngster right before a competition when I was extremely keen to do well, mainly to show my Dad that his time and money investment had been worth it.... just couldn't keep my lips sealed on the blowpipe and the harder I tried the worse it got.

Just like falling off your bike/horse....get back up there and keep a'going...

Practice till your piece is completely automatic and then some more...it's only nerves and the fix is more exposure
..if you can find some friends to play in front of a few tomes that's even better, but don't let one hiccup become a 'thing' to be overcome.

Persevere and it WILL get easier 🤗
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #25
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

A hot foyer only added to your nervousness, as well as drying you (and your reed) out.

Keep practicing and work up your stamina as well as your ability. Remember one who has never failed can never truly appreciate success.
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #26
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

It's fine; things happen. It's just one day.

I'd suggest keeping your warm-up for any sort of performance as minimal as possible. DO NOT "practice" on the day. You need to be prepared ahead of time. On the day, play long enough for your chanter to stop changing and to get the drones in tune. That's it. Keeps your mind fresher and limits the wear on your body.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:44 PM   #27
OHpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I mentioned to another fellow that I've been singing in the church choir for the past 20 years or so, sometimes I did specials like a solo now and then. Sure I was nervous but for some reason the other night was brutal I will have a chance to redeem myself the end of the month, my second cousin wants me to play at her wedding..rehearsal will come first..
I have no intention of letting this get me down, it's too much fun and I love it, and the music, working on Carles We' the breeks, tune kind of grows on you.
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote