Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
dwindbag
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Canmore Hybrid bags

I'm currently using a Bannatyne hybird large. Prior to this I had Bannatyne hybrid medium. Neither seems to be the winner. Sadly there is no extended medium. The Canmore ext-medium and large are in between the Bannatynes.

I've heard some of past history of the Canmores falling apart, but it seemed more rumor and opinion than "this is what happened to me".

Any feedback on the quality of the bags and/or comparison to the Bannatynes would be helpful.

Windbag
dwindbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Canmore Hybrid bags

I'd say the Canmore Hybrid is the best synthetic bag out there today. Comfortable, easy to install and it breathes extremely well. No durability issues for me.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Iím a big fan of my Canmore Medium bag. I switched over from a Bannatyne Synthetic bag a few months ago, and I donít think Iíll switch back ever. Hybrid bags give you more durability for striking in, and Iíve really loved Canmoreís quality of stitching. Doesnít feel like itíll ever fall apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:10 AM   #4
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Currently I am using the red Ross hybrid, and it fine by me. I had a Canmore Goretex bag previously and it felt like it had no substance and I ended up placing an old hide bad over it for the weight and support for a good strike in.

the majority of pipers should do fine with a medium bag but every piper will develop a preference over time. My previous bag was a large, I'm 74" tall but took much longer to inflate than the others in the band. So I changed to the medium and have been happy with that result.

The only bad aspect of the original Canmore Synthetic bag was the grommets the drone stocks mounted in failed after 20 years.... but nothing lasts forever.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

I think a lot more pipers will move to the Canmore Hybrid bags in the near future. A lot hear Canmore and think the floppy, green bags. The hybrid bags are a different beast.

Perhaps I'm a 'drier' blower than some, but playing a synthetic bag with just a tube trap for a couple hours without wet drones is a dream come true.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmunmousavi View Post
Iím a big fan of my Canmore Medium bag. I switched over from a Bannatyne Synthetic bag a few months ago, and I donít think Iíll switch back ever. Hybrid bags give you more durability for striking in, and Iíve really loved Canmoreís quality of stitching. Doesnít feel like itíll ever fall apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto for me. I assume stitching you refer to is around the zipper.

I did also play Bannatyne bag ...very good product until it leaked.....but had the impression the bag material became a slight bit less beefy when they switched to the tan color material 4-5 years ago.
Iíve found the current Canmore hybrid to be ..or feel..beefier...closer to the real deal.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

The stories of Canmore bags falling apart probably refer to the earlier GoreTexģ bags. I had two. The first, of the first model, started leaking in the throat area after a number of years (6?). I patched the leak with "ShoeGoo" and replaced it with the newer model with drone grommets. That one came apart at the bass drone grommet- the grommet cracked open at the base, five minutes before the start of a wedding, as I was tuning up. (at 5 years , if I remember correctly). I'd be surprised to find that kind of failure in the hybrid bags, but I have not used one yet.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

Hasn't Canmore re-done their bags: new shape and hybrid material? I doubt they resemble the bags they came out with originally.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

The current iteration of the Canmore hybrid bag is excellent. Very well made, comfortable, durable, breathable, can't recommend highly enough.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
BigJ1632
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I have a large Canmore on my poly pipes. Very comfortable to play, easy to install, maintenance free. Highly recommended if you aren't doing a hide bag.
BigJ1632 is offline   Reply With Quote