Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
Skyelark
Forum Member

Default Colin Kyo chanter with '80's RG Hardies

Hi,

I'm currently playing a set of what I believe to be 1980's RG Hardie Blackwood pipes with the original blackwood chanter, and sometimes a poly Shepherd Bb chanter both of which sit really nicely with the drones at around 170-173hz.

I want to try to play a little higher in pitch for solo competition & was thinking about ordering a Colin Kyo poly chanter (after some serious research). I wanted to get opinions on the ability to heighten pitch on a fairly low set of drones before pulling the trigger.

Thoughts?
Skyelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Colin Kyo chanter with 80's RG Hardies

I cannot imagine why you'd have much of a problem getting your drones to tune up to 478Hz ( which is what I think you meant). You may need to seat the drone reeds a little deeper in the reed seats and/or adjust your drone reed tuning screws.

If you have a tuner, you could try setting it to say, 478 and see whether you can tune your tenors to it.

Charlie
Old 08-25-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

And there higher pitched versions of drone reeds that are meant to specifically help older sets that are tuning low in the pins. One example is Balance Tone.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Flyrod
Forum Silver Medal

Why not give Murray Huggins a call and ask him? He is pretty easy to get a hold of and really knows his craft. If you were to speak with him about what you are looking for, I'm sure he could help.

Flyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

My c1970 Lawries can tune at 485 with hemp showing, or 466, according to what reeds I have in the tenors. They play great either way.

EzeeDrone makes special shorter tenor reeds that might work for you, I've not tried EzeeDrone reeds in vintage Hardies, but they work in my Lawries and Starcks.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrod View Post
Why not give Murray Huggins a call and ask him? He is pretty easy to get a hold of and really knows his craft. If you were to speak with him about what you are looking for, I'm sure he could help.

But it's likely not a chanter issue, more likely the problem is with the drone reeds and how they're set-up.

Charlie
Old 08-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
Graineag
Forum Member

What drone reeds are you currently using?

I play an early-'90s set of Hardie drones--hardly my Holy Grail set of pipes, but they're a very steady workaday set, and they sound pretty decent with Redwood drone reeds. I play a recent Peter Henderson blackwood chanter (although I'd really like to get one of Murray's chanters at some point), and these days with the chanter reeds I use (Shepherd or G1 mostly), it tends to tune comfortably around 477-479. Setting up my drones to play at that pitch with the Redwoods is pretty simple with the aluminum fine tuning slides at the end of the reed. Good synthetic drone reeds now just about all have some type of tuning slide or screw that allows a good deal of flexibility for tuning most any set of drones to chanters pitched between the mid-470s to mid-480s.
Graineag is offline   Reply With Quote