Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Does a new chanter reed need to "break in"?

Depends on the reed. I've always found Donald Macphee's medium reeds to be "plug and play". I was hired to pipe for the first day of school at a private school this morning and last night I wasn't happy with my solo chanter reed as it seems to have gotten too easy. I put in a new reed and it was great right off the bat. Thought I was going to have to use my band chanter and reed, but that was not the case. Piped at the school early this morning, reed sounded great, lots of compliments. Macphee medium reed with McC2 ABW chanter.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
no MacCrimmon
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I'm no authority on technical issues, but I believe what piperchase is saying (upon his resurrecting the thread) is that his chanter reed is not sounding at all, and he is asking if breaking it in will change this and how long that would take.

Breaking in a reed should just bring it down to a comfortable/sustainable playing pressure, not turn it from an unblowable reed into a playable one.

My supposition is that his chanter reed is simply too hard for him, or possibly another setup issue. (?)
no MacCrimmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #13
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperchase View Post
I know it's an old thread...

After a break in then the chanter should be heard with the drones?

Right now my drones are all I hear and nothing from the chanter .
No sound from the chanter can only mean insufficiient air pressure to vibrate the reed blades to produce constant sound. Reed is too hard for you..or you're not giving what it takes....air pressure and ...what I call ..'the hulk' of your left arm down on the rock hard bag
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #14
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Some reeds blow in more than others. It depends on the cane used and the vagaries of the individual reed. Personally, I'd rather shave a down and have it be a little on the easy side than struggle with it for very long.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote