Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-10-2017, 03:35 AM   #51
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Gift pipes - what would YOU do?

If the young piper is still actively piping in X number of years (3? 5?), she gets the pipes. A large number of teens do give up piping, just because "life happens" and piping is a very significant commitment.

I wouldn't get into asking money or compensation for improvements. That's crass. If you believe returning the pipes to the grandfather's family is right, then no conditions to an active piper who has maintained his or her piping interest through college, military service, job, marriage etc. I am assuming general civility all around--no demanding tones or implied resentment.

Many teens are active in other pursuits, then go off to uni, maybe military service, develop busy careers and family life, and remain solid musical pipers all their lives.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #52
Elizur Wright
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Perhaps the current owner of the pipes could make sure they pass to the daughter when he no longer needs them. He would be able to continue using the pipes which were given to him, knowing that they will eventually be reunited with the original owner's granddaughter.
Elizur Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #53
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Ivory??...burn them.
And that's going to bring back the elephant!
Old 10-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #54
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Beck View Post

And that's going to bring back the elephant!
....Apparently the thinking of multi governmental agencies of the country that burned tonnes of it ....minus the angels share of that stockpile someway making it to the market ...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #55
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I would give them to her.

He was my friend, and that doesn't end with his death.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #56
J.R.
Forum Gold Medal

I'm with McSwegen - it's not like the guy who was gifted them did anything wrong. If he, like many of us, likes to change up pipes every few years, sure - give the family right of first refusal when its time to get a set of whatever the next Athertons are. If not, I hope the family realizes the expense associated with suddenly losing a prized instrument, especially one you've gotten from a former bandmate. It's not like you'd gift a set of prize pipes to some knob you wouldn't let rehemp your set - there must have been a relationship there and probably not a superficial one.

And lets say this guy does give them to this girl. What if the original owner's family in Scotland reads this post and tracks them down, claiming a sentimental connection? Should the girl give them up? It's a slippery slope.

On a personal level, I would LOVE to find out who bought my first instructor's S&I Graingers, but years and thousands of miles passed between the last time I saw him and the sale of the pipes. I'd happily to pay to get them back, as I have fond memories of them (if being covetous can be recalled fondly). But I'm the piper that got them paid a fair price and is playing them a hell of a lot more than I play mine. I theoretically compete in a high grade, but it's not like that makes me worthier of owning those pipes.

Anyway - if the guy is willing to let them go for the price of a similar set OR just a similar set, that means he's at least willing to give them back. Don't punish him for being open to cooperating.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #57
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

7 pages later.......what was the question again?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:08 PM   #58
Kittykat
Forum Regular

give her the pipes, they have family significance. This is similar to my father's 1920 Lawries which my step mother gave away and I managed to get them back... they belong in the family.