Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

Default New Suo Gān arrangement & harmony

Hey pipers!

I took a harmony writing workshop with Stuart Liddell at Winter Storm this year and have been tinkering with various ideas ever since.

Here is my latest effort, my own arrangement and harmony for Suo Gān

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgJwBHVN4ao

Compliments and critiques are both equally welcome!
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-10-2019, 04:12 AM   #2
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New Suo Gān arrangement & harmony

Very nice - thanks for sharing!
Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Cool, I like the bell-ringing effect you get as you go along there.

I like it when the harmony part has its own tunefulness, I suppose one could say more of a descant-sounding thing, and I try to do that as much as I can, when I write harmonies for the band.

Did the harmony workshop talk about contrary motion? It's a cool thing in pipe arrangements. Due to the limited range it's usually starting out an octave or 6th from the melody and moving closer, ending up at a 3rd. (Of course you could start at a 3rd and move away from the melody, though I don't know if that's quite as satisfying-sounding. See Minnie Hynd below.)

Anyhow Suo Gan struck my interest because we used to play it in the band and I used an obvious big bit of contrary motion in my harmony part.

Generally I don't do harmonies all the way through but introduce them later.

Here's a demo sheet I did a while back on contrary motion that has my Suo Gan harmony part:

Note that the bass line in The Star Spangled Banner plays the opening notes of The First Noel, pretty cool.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 04-10-2019 at 05:42 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Did the harmony workshop talk about contrary motion?
Hey - thanks for the nice comments. No, the workshop didn't cover that because it was only 90 minutes and he had to start from the beginning - keys a GHB chanter can play, etc.

However, I do have experience playing counter melodies in my band - La Boum and Going Home come to mind - the latter of which was partly responsible for inspiring the counter melody in the B-part here. But, I used a bit of contrary motion in another harmony I wrote - a two-parter for Top Deck in Perth.

As to when to introduce harmonies - I agree I think. For a single tune best to play melody at first, then switch to harmony on the repeat. In a band context or if the tune is in the middle of a set I might have a different opinion.

As a complete aside - that is some very well-written sheet music!

2nd aside - I couldn't help but notice the Star Trek bit in your notes - I realized not too long ago that the melody in the opening theme of First Contact is in Fmaj/Cmix and thus transposes nicely to Dmaj/Amix and is this playable on a Highland Chanter ;)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Very nice harmonies on the second part!