Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Jeremiah
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Shopping for First Pipes

I've heard a couple of peoples opinions of McCallum poly pipes. I'd like to hear you guys opinion of poly pipes. Do they play as well as a low end black wood set? Give me specifics about why you prefer one over the other.

Thanks in advance...
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Shopping for First Pipes

If a company makes both wood and poly pipes, they most likely have the same internal specs. I can't vouch for McCallum, but I know at Dunbar they use the same machine for boring all their pipes, both wood and poly. I've seen it myself.

That said, there are possibly some tonal differences between the two that most likely won't be able to find.

They require somewhat less maintenance and can take a little more of a beating than wood pipes can.

Starting with poly is not a problem, and if you decide you don't like playing you take a smaller hit in the wallet. If you find you do like playing (and let's be honest here - you will), you can upgrade to a nice wood set and keep the poly set as a backup, loaner, or inclement weather set.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
Jeremiah
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
That said, there are possibly some tonal differences between the two that most likely won't be able to find.
If the tonal differences are so minimal, why the preference to wood?
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Never played a set of Poly pipes. They're supposed to be heavier than wood pipes; take less maintenance; and can take a beating.

I take a little care with my wood McCallums; I don't throw them around; I swab them out after long gigs or practice sessions; they get oiled twice a year'ish. Based on my experience, I cannot see any overwhelming reason to buy poly pipes.

Plus, many pipers suggest getting a poly set first, then upgrading later. Why? - you'll just end up having paid for another set of pipes. Why not buy wood pipes, then later buy a set of poly pipes? To me, it doesn't make too much sense IMO.

Charlie

Last edited by Green Piper; 05-05-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Green Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
PHXpiper
Forum Member

McCallum poly pipes are lighter weight than ABW. My instructor thinks they sound fine. If you're worried about cracking/expect to deal with weather conditions that are bad for pipes, you should be ok with them.

That being said, there are purists who insist poly will never sound as good as wood, and if you ever want to sell and upgrade to a high-end set, wood pipes will probably have a better resale value.
PHXpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:18 AM   #6
oldsoldier
Forum Gold Medal

I have a band mate that plays a set. They sound fine. Personally, I would like to get a set someday, for when I play pub crawls and the like. My band does a couple of those a year, and I always get nervous about alcohol, people, and confined spaces. That is, at least for me, the only reason I would get a set. As to tonal quality, they sound exactly like my McCallums.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #7
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
Do they play as well as a low end black wood set?
[This is not intended to be a snarky comment] "They" play as well you are playing.

I have played abysmally on very nice blackwood sets and have won piper of the day on a set of Dunbar P3s. In both cases, it was me and not the pipes.

I would suggest you think about how well you take care and maintain other items in your life for your answer.

And not worry about what other folks think about what you're playing.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:22 AM   #8
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

With regards to playing conditions, I have played in over 100F and 10% humidity while playing with Mesa Caledonian (Arizona). Also played in 40F and rainy with (Denver & District PB). My McCallum ABW survived perfectly intact with zero cracks. I did once drop the blowpipe and cracked a bit of imitation ivory, but a quick bit of superglue took care of that.

I have played in some raucous bars on St Pat's Day. It does make me nervous, but so far, so good.

I do take a few minutes after playing to swab them out.

Charlie
Old 05-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #9
tanks hobyman
Forum Regular

Quote:
If the tonal differences are so minimal, why the preference to wood?
For those who prefer the tone of wood over plastic, it is a question of timbre. The difference in timbre between the two materials is slight but readily perceived. Plastic will be conceived as being on the shrill side of the tone being produced and wood on the more mellow side. Band and other ceol bheag players usually have little or no problem playing plastic pipes and sometimes even prefer them for a variety of reasons. Pibroch players are of another ilk and you will seldom if ever see a plastic pipe being played in a Grade I or Open Pibroch competition. Having said that, I do know that Gordon Walker frequently employs a plastic chanter in his competitive and professional efforts.

Tanks
tanks hobyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
I've heard a couple of peoples opinions of McCallum poly pipes. I'd like to hear you guys opinion of poly pipes. Do they play as well as a low end black wood set? Give me specifics about why you prefer one over the other.
Until you can blow tone, material selection doesn't matter very much. Once you can, you may find that your first set of pipes (no matter what it is) produce a sound that you want to stick with, or perhaps not. Some players never change instruments over the course of their playing careers, but many do.

The timbre of a poly set is slightly different than that of wood, but blowing and reeding matter much more for a beginner. Poly stands up to rough handling better. It does NOT, however, absorb any moisture, which can be a problem under some conditions. Wet blowers may find that they have condensation problems with extended playing or outdoors when it's cold. That may not matter much in a parade, but it does if you're playing competitively.

I've personally never played a plastic instrument. I've had several sets of plastic McCallums and Dunbars pass through my band. When set up properly, poly sets can be perfectly acceptable band instruments, at least in the lower grades.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote