Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

Default Learning Uilleann Pipes

I've just started learning this wonderful instrument and decided to record the process for posterity and will be uploading videos once or twice a month to my Youtube channel. First episode was just published moments ago

https://youtu.be/2D6MnejYCvA
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Learning Uilleann Pipes

Looks like you've got it down so far. I look forward to following your progress. Will use the inspiration to get my own penny chanter going. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
super8mm
Forum Regular

I subscribed
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Peter,

I'm looking forward to following along with your journey! I hope to tackle the uilleann pipes one day myself. Alas, it's just not in the cards at the moment working full-time as a student (fiscally and timewise).

Out of curiosity, do you have any background on whistle? I know that many pipers will use whistle as a prepatory step to learning the uillean pipes. Apologies if it's a point that you address in the video -- will have to sit down and check it out in the next day or so.

Cheers,
Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #5
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Diodato View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have any background on whistle? I know that many pipers will use whistle as a prepatory step to learning the uillean pipes.
I don't, although I am also aware of what you mention. I'd like to pick up whistles some day, but that's probably an endeavor best saved for a good year or so from now.

Thanks for following!
Old 12-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Brave to put yourself out there so early in the process!

Peter, as someone who has been playing both Highland pipes and uilleann pipes for over 40 years, and has started dozens of Highland pipers on their first steps into the world of uilleann piping, I have these observations:

1) About the different upper-hand posture, you're bang-on. Kudos to you for learning the uilleann "grip".

2) Beware of sloppy fingering. I have seen many times over the years Highland pipers who have very clean fingering get sloppy on the uilleann pipes...it's almost like a "it's just a folk instrument" attitude. However good uilleann pipers finger just as cleanly as good Highland pipers.

For example, on the Highland pipes when we go from D to F#
x xxx ooox
x xoo xxxo
we are very careful not to get an E note in between, but make the D to F# transition cleanly by lifting the upper-hand middle and ring fingers together rather than in sequence.

However you did that very thing going from G to B on your uilleann chanter
x xxx ooxx
x xoo xxxx
by putting an A in between, caused by lifting the ring finger first rather than at the same time as the middle finger.

3) I know that on Highland pipes the upper-hand index finger gracenote (the High G gracenote) is the standard "working finger" and is nearly always used on the beat. You can read through entire Highland pipe tunes that have a High G gracenote on every beat.

There are many uilleann pipers who never use that finger for cutting, and for now, if I was you, I would become one of them, if nothing else to wean yourself away from relying on that finger.

You would never cut E with that finger, in traditional uilleann piping, nor any other lower-hand note.

You will find that habits you can get away with in the low octave will come back to bite you when you start playing in the 2nd octave.

So, get in the habit of cutting all the lower-hand notes, Bottom D, E, F#, and G with the upper-hand ring finger, an A gracenote. You will thank me later, when you're playing more in the 2nd octave.

And get in the habit of cutting A with the B finger.

For learning purposes, use the upper-hand index finger cut ONLY for B.

You will find that in the 2nd octave especially the cut needs to be close to the note, not an octave away like on the Highland pipes!

In fact, both on the uilleann chanter an on some Low Whistles and Irish flutes the upper-hand ring-finger cut isn't optimal on E in the 2nd octave, and you'll need to learn to cut E with the lower-hand index finger (a G cut).

4) You need to get in the habit of cutting Bottom D with the upper-hand ring finger (an A cut) every time you play Bottom D. It's standard in uilleann piping, the reason is to obtain the Hard Bottom D.

5) Fantastic that you got a David Daye set! His pipes always work.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 12-21-2019 at 06:41 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Brave to put yourself out there so early in the process!
Thanks!

Quote:
I have these observations:

1) About the different upper-hand posture, you're bang-on. Kudos to you for learning the uilleann "grip".
Still have to remind myself every time I pick them up

Quote:

2) Beware of sloppy fingering.
Yeah, I know. I have a whole new slew of crossing noises to learn how to eliminate. After 5 years of highland piping, I still have some there, too.

Quote:

3) I know that on Highland pipes the upper-hand index finger gracenote (the High G gracenote) is the standard "working finger" and is nearly always used on the beat. You can read through entire Highland pipe tunes that have a High G gracenote on every beat.
Yes, my instructor has been on me about this as well. I'm working at it - definitely some "unlearn what you have learned" going on

Quote:

4) You need to get in the habit of cutting Bottom D with the upper-hand ring finger (an A cut) every time you play Bottom D. It's standard in uilleann piping, the reason is to obtain the Hard Bottom D.
Gotcha!

Quote:

5) Fantastic that you got a David Daye set! His pipes always work.
Yes, I've been very happy with their stability/reliability so far.

Thanks a ton for your feedback and advice, I really appreciate the time it took to write all that out!